Bathroom door lock condundrum

I was asked to replace someone's bathroom door handles and they provided a new set which have lever handles and a knob on the inside and knob turnable by a coin on the outside.

The problem is that the door does not contain any locking mechanism, only a standard tubular latch. I've seen bathroom door handles where the locking mechanism is such that the latch is disabled when you want to stop people coming in - but that's not the kind of handle they've bought.

The knobs for locking this door are supplied with a square shaft which has a slimmer profile than a standard one for a door knob.

Is it the case that this kind of setup really needs a specific mortise lock designed for a bathroom OR (I HOPE!) can you get just a mortise bolt with a smaller square shaft socket - a bit like one of those mortise bolts which have cross-shaped keys I guess?

Reply to
Murmansk

Wouldn't it be easier to buy the right kind of handle for the lock they have, rather than replacing the lock? (I would have thought that handles cost less than locks.)

Reply to
Max Demian

A picture might help, but I have what sounds like the same sort of lock on my bathroom door. Turning the knob on the inside through a quarter turn from horizontal to vertical stops the door handle from moving, so I presume something in the mechanism just obstructs the normal action of the handle.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Unless they are Brass of course, however if you cannot get the bits simply fit them a normal extra bolt on the inside. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've actually answered my own question - you can get them on Ebay

and it's far easier to fit one of these for £5 than a massive mortise lock

Reply to
Murmansk

have, rather than replacing the lock? (I would have thought that handles cost less than locks.) <

They don't have a lock.

Reply to
Murmansk

Brian Gaff used his keyboard to write :

Which if its a decent door/house would not look very nice.

The handles the OP decribes, uses a normal sprung latch, plus an entirely separate rectangular locking bolt - I have one on my bathroom door.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Just tell them to sing in the bathroom and everyone will know to keep out.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You can get them combined into a single unit as well:

John Rumm