door handles for bathroom - need to lock it from inside

fitted all my doors with b & q value pack silver handles... but need to be able to lock the bathroom from inside. whats the cheapest way of doing this? i'm not sure if i just need new handles with a knob on to stop the handle from moving, or a new mechanism inside the door frame. do screwfix do this sorta thing? appreciate any help!

Reply to
benpost

In article , benpost writes

Why not just a bolt? I fitted a nice brass one to our pine doors. Too high for toddlers to lock but high enough to bolt the door to stop the dogs charging in!

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

Its called a bolt.

If you have rugrats who could lock themselves in accidentally either position the bolt high up or fit a 'toilet door set' which allows locking from inside & unlocking (using a screwdriver/coin) from outside.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

IME a separate indicator bolt is a much more reliable answer than any of the turnlatches built into handles.

Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Cheaper than a bolt is a small hook & eye. Even cheaper, but only works with some frames, is a small piece of scrap wood with a screw through the centre. Rotating it blocks the door from opening.

Even cheaper is a bit of dried pizza from the bin jammed under the door as a wedge... how cheap do you want to go? :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Cheapest I can think of is singing... or having the decency not to barge in if the door is closed.

Reply to
Rod

If you're hung up on having an integral lock (which is very neat, for sure), them you need new handles incorporating this feature: some ranges of handles have them, others don't.

However it's probably the most expensive way of doing it, too.

David

Reply to
Lobster

None of which would be much good for me, given that my bathroom door opens outwards!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I would never consider a bathroom lock that cannot be released from the outside. My daughter, when just a toddler locked herself in one day. I had to get a ladder, smash the window, climb in, then spent the next half hour calming her down!

Reply to
Broadback

There are special knob sets which include a lock for this very purpose - usually a turn or push button in the centre of the knob. They are self contained and use the same mortise latch mechanism as other such knob sets. But couldn't be used with the mortise latch/lock commonly found in doors as they need special screws going through the door to link the knobs. You can get matching plain sets too - but the range is more restricted than ordinary knob sets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The OP's " handles with a knob on to stop the handle from moving" are sold as bathroom/toilet door locks and have an external coin/screwdriver operated release for this reason. They require a second hole drilled through the door but that's usually all.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Doesn't that stop it from opening outwards? Surely if you turn it on your side that would only work if you had to push the door opening from your side?

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

this is what i was thinking but not sure if you need anything else with it, and where is the outside safety handle that should go with it?

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=bathroom+door#

Reply to
benpost

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=bathroom+door#It will be in there - the ability to access from outside is a building reg., and the description says "set" - only one handle is shown.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Have a look at the B&Q item 3409657 (type this into the Search box on

I bought this one and am very pleased with it.

Reply to
PM

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=bathroom+door#>

Yes, I have a different-but-similar one from Screwfix: the second handle has a corresponding hole, and the two holes are linked by a rod, with a thumb latch (visible in the OP's link) at one end, and a slotted disc (to accept the edge of a coin to enable opening from the outside). This assembly can be inserted from either side to enable both left- and right-handed opening doors to be used.

Bob - are you sure about the building regs thing? It seems an odd specification given that I'm sure the vast majority of bathrooms are locked by a slide bolt on the inside!

David

Reply to
Lobster

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=bathroom+door#>>>> It will be in there - the ability to access from outside is a building

I'm not certain but they are not retrospective anyway - I would be suprised if a BCO passed in a new build an internal bathroom/toilet lock that wasn't operable from the outside. My point wasn't that he would be in breach of any regulations (that's up to him) but that, if that is the standard/regulation, all sets for sale will have an external access facility and he needn't worry whether they have or not.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

thanks for the posts.. it seems that b and q one for =A315 would do the job and comes with everything. its not the same style as my other handles but i dont think it will matter. cheers.

Reply to
benpost

The cheapest way of doing this is to install this type of privacy door locks

- because buying these locks you receive the highest quality of materials and top-grade privacy.

Reply to
Oliver Green
2009 now, I've heard of skeletons in cupboards but not in toilets. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)