RCBOs

With separate RCD & MCB, in my experience, the RCD is fastest, so maybe my proposed RCBO should flag the same result. Wouldn't you welcome a device where it was evident what had occurred so the customer could tell you in advance?

How many times have you fielded questions from clueless first-time posters on here and the first thing you want to establish is RCD or MCB?

Reply to
Graham.

From the look of them, it seems to me when an RCBO trips, you would not know whether an over-current or earth leakage event had occurred. This seems a serious disadvantage, or is it me that's missing something?

Reply to
Graham.

Serious disadvantage to whom?

The clueful will know how to diagnose, and the clueless will know to "get someone in". In the meantime both clueless+clueful are safe.

Reply to
John Kenyon

I strongly suspect you are. An RCBO is primarily for protection.

If it were intended as a diagnostic tool, it would be sitting on a shelf in Newey's along with the Flukes.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

~Steven Wright

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Some might employ the Buzz Aldrin approach and gaffer tape the thing pushed back in. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That wouldn't prevent it from tripping.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Brian Gaff has brought this to us :

You cannot hold RDCD's, MCB's or RCBO's in with your fingers or gaffer tape, the lever only allows them to be reset once tripped.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

How would that help with a LE short?

Reply to
ARW

Well it fixed the one on the Lunar Module which he clouted with his back pack on the moon, apparently a magic marker top and gaffer tape were used. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well technology has changed a bit over 50 years. Also I suppose there's less need for spacecraft equipment to be designed to be idiot proof.

Though in that instance I get the impression that the breaker was a switch rather than an overload protection device.

Mike Clarke

Either trips IMHO when it is a LE short.

NE faults are rare.

You know by the bang if it is LE or a NE fault. It's a bit harder to tell if it is an overload not an overcurrent problem but I can usually tell when it is one or the other.

Reply to
ARW

How many times on this NG have you seen the even more clueless "experts" wade in with a pile of stupidity masquerading as "advice"?

It can be remarkably difficult gaining a valid response from a clients maintenance department as to the nature of a fault. Often I have wondered if it was worth the effort anyway as a site visit was the usual ourcome.

AB

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

~Steven Wright

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Customer wants a HDMI lead between the TV and Sky box. I chisel the wall out and he then calls me from the shop "Do I need a round or square pin HDMI lead"

Reply to
ARW

It was the switch to energise the rocket motor used to lift of the moon too :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I would just plug one end into the TV and the other into the Sky Box.

Why are you chiselling a hole in a wall ?. Is the sky box hidden somewhere ?

Reply to
Andrew

The idea is that when the wall is reskimmed the HDMI cable is not visible between the TV and the Sky box.

This is one thick as pig shit customer that has really pissed me off and I normally cope with them without a problem.

Reply to
ARW