propane heat safety and price

We are moving to the country, no NG, so we have to go with propane. I probably would have choosen oil if I could have but the house we got is propane. I wondered about the safety of LP. The BTU for LP being lower than NG, with NG going up all the time, would you say LP prices are similar? considering all the extra charges of NG like : delivery to you, storage, monthly fee etc....these prices are probably not reflected with LP so we'd think the price would be cheaper.

Reply to
boubou

Essentially the same as NG--only real difference is heavier than air rather than lighter so it will settle. Consequently, no water heaters, etc., in basements.

LP is derived from NG so they're tied at the waist, so to speak...

Seems like you've got this backwards--NG is the one on pipeline distribution systems, LPG is truck delivery. You're right, these are some cost items.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

about the delivery of NG in ontario: here's an example of my NG bill for october gas @ 29.9 transportation to union gas @ 3.3687 transportation to union gas (again????) @ 2.8987 storage @ 2.8308 storage @ 2.7642 delivery to you@ 8.53 monthly charge @ 8.5338

soooooooooo my monthly $$$ for the gas alone at 29.9 cents is $28.94 all the other costs: $ 27.85 total of :$56.79 for 96.796 gas used m3/ anyone good at math to convert this to LP?

This IS Natural gas

Reply to
boubou

You will find that LP flucuates just like every other petrolum product. There are regs in my state about hauling tanks 100 pounds and above. Less and they do not get in your way. Delivery charges can be substantial. I grew up in Iowa and folks always filled their 300-1000 gallon tanks just before fall hit. Then another fill to get into summer. Depends a lot on the house and your life style how much you will use.

Some tanks are owner tanks, some are leased. There are advantages to both.

Reply to
SQLit

No appliances in the basement? What am I missing? I see, and install LP furnaces, boilers, and water heaters in basements all the time. Absolutely normal operation around here. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Reply to
boubou

============ I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill... . Millions of famlies use Propane to heat their homes.. I can not recall seeing any stories in the local paper or on the nightly TV news braodcast concerning houses exploding etc

I heat my hoime with electricity but I heat my shop with Propane.. its a non issue except for the price...propane goes up and down all the time..

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Reply to
boubou

I agree...

In general, that's true but there were two here in the last two weeks plus the one last year that led to a new home on whatever is the name of that silly ABC show where they create these monstrosities for folks to have to deal w/ when they're done and gone...

Just like w/ NG you have to be sure you don't have a leak and if you smell anything at all, _don't_ ignore it which apparently at least one of the above did.

But, like all fossil energy products, it's going to continue to rise in general.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Didn't notice that you mentioned you were Canadian--that's a different pricing arrangement than in the US for NG.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Not around here for LP...NG, yes. Whether there's an actual code restriction I can't say but it is common practice. We've always had the NG tap off the main pipeline that runs across the pasture so never used LP for anything except tractor fuel back in the 60s/70s so I was just reporting what I observe w/ those who do use LP.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

First, you got LP and NG reversed.......

Just a few tips

Buy your own propane tank so you are not at the mercy of the same company, because if you rent their tank, you're stuck with them.

Use decent pipe and your propane is as safe as natural gas. For some reason, people tend to use copper tubing for their range connection. DONT DO IT. Get a flex pipe. (I learned this when I moved my range and the copper tube broke.

I think the BTU is about the same, but I am not positive.

Presently, oil is more expensive than LP

Do NOT let your LP tank go empty. The LP companies require an inspection, and they insist on lighting your pilot lights if your tank gets empty. Around here, they charge $50 to do that. They will NOT fill your tank without doing it. Some assenine law, that gives these companies permission to rob you. (The last time I was almost empty, I swapped my pipe to a 100lb tank that I own, just to keep enough gas in the tank to hold a pilot light in my furnace, because I'll be damned if I am going to pay $50 for them to look at my pipes for 30 seconds and light the pilot in my furnace.

Reply to
maradcliff

Definitely more expensive than ng. Delivery trucks and terminals cost money . One advantage is that if you get a big enough tank you can avoid fall and winter price spikes. Many sellers also offer contract pricing which can help as well.

As far as safety goes, most of the houses that blow up are ng houses. Propane settles, which could be a problem if you had a leak. If you smell gas pay attention. I have never heard of a problem with water heaters in basements, we have ours there.

Reply to
Chris Hill

What's a ng house?

Reply to
maradcliff

Propane settles for apx 50-60$ Nighthawk has a digital read out Co -Ng detector, check to see if it will work with propane, but it should. Mount it at the floor incase of any leak.

Of course its more expensive its a by product and is trucked to you.

Reply to
m Ransley

Natural Gas.

Millions of homes have it, but every year there seems to be one house that burns down from it. Every fuel has potential safety issues and every year at least one house is destroyed by a faulty heater, no matter what the fuel.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Would I be able to hear the gas alarm from a 2 nd story? How loud are these things? Can they be wired to a home security pannel?

Reply to
boubou

A smoke alarm is loud , try yours in the basement, many alarm companies offer auxilary alarms, water, Ng, Co, etc . but im sure you could esily buy a gas detector and wire it yourself, remember for propane, put it at the floor, or where instructions say.

Reply to
m Ransley

How do I put it at the floor? is this plugged into an electrical outlet? if so, would it be low enough? if not low enough? do these alarm come in battery ?

Reply to
boubou

Im sure an extension cord would work.

Reply to