[OT] Pointless bus/cycle lanes

road was closed for a while and afterwards I was baffled by this short strip of cycle lane. And i'm not alone it seems. There is much of this locally, it's the same with the bus lanes, there's not really room so we just have sketchy bits dotted here and there.

It might work in a city and if so i'm all for it but it doesn't in a town like ours, and I presume it's part of a box ticking exercise necessary for getting road repairs done. The way there's "no money for this/that...." it makes my piss boil.

Reply to
R D S

It is a long way from being the shortest cycle lane:

nightjar

They say it'll be extended. Hm. The best thing to be said for it may be that "at least it makes people think about people on bikes". Is the road one-way?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That's a really stupid design. If a driver opens the drivers door without looking and there's a cyclist there an accident is inevitable. This used to be a monthly posting:

seems to have dried up in February 2019 but if you scroll through you'll find not just short but plain stupid (ymmv) cycle lanes.

This one shows a different element of stupidity:

Graham Harrison

Same for most rodads. It does not help the cyclist, or motorcyclist, byt the driver is at fault, and an insurance claim should result.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Indeed, there is one around here that's about 3 feet.

Reply to
R D S

All this crap about carbon dioxide makes *me* puke. All this BS about phasing out gas boilers, upgrading insulation, installing heat pumps, higher taxes etc etc and ALL FOR NOTHING - whatever is causing the warming it ISNT CO2.

--

"There are, besides, eternal truths, such as Freedom, Justice, etc., that are common to all states of society. But Communism abolishes eternal truths, it abolishes all religion,and all morality, instead of constituting them on a new basis; it therefore acts in contradiction to all historical experience."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Oh dear. All these scientists, meteorologists, climatologists, geologists etc. must be completely wrong, than. Thanks for that reasssurance.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Now we have to convince another 30 million people...all of whom think they have been fearfully smart in 'understanding' climate change by reading about it in the guardian and on the BBC.

Ain't gonna happen, at best we can maybe convince them that it's a lot less bad than they have been told, and windymills and sun worshipping panels are not really a cost effective way of addressing it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed, but you might hope road "designers" would know and design out the risk.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

I came across an academic paper dating from over 40 years ago, before this all became so intensely political. Therein it was stated that increases in global temperatures were attributable to "electron warming in the ionosphere caused by the significant increase in high power broadcast transmissions over the previous half-century." If true, then the situation has only become much worse since that paper was published. I don't know if the BBC world service is still going today, but when it operated out of Ashdown Forest in Sussex back in the day, it's main transmitter put out 600kW (that's 600kW out from

1MW DC input). Sounds a lot? It's actually pretty small beer compared to the competition and the situation is far worse nowadays given the explosion in the number of channels and other uses of RF energy. If the author was correct, it's easy to see how an unholy alliance of broadcasters and politicians would be desperate to blame warming on something esle to deflect criticism away from themselves. I must look into it when time permits....

--

"Abolition of the family! Even the most radical flare up at this infamous proposal of the Communists."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've not seen any reference to this. I have seen "electron warming models" but they've been in respect of MOSFETs and silicon oxide.

It sounds you're getting confused with terms you don't understand.

By all means provide details of this academic paper to enlighten me, I would happily eat humble pie.

Reply to
Fredxx

A moment's consideration leads me to believe that the back-of-envelope calculation to show that all the transmitters in the world have many orders of magnitude too little power to have any such effect is just not worth the pencil and envelope involved.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

If I said I saw an academic paper in the Reader's Digest showing that the habit of honey bees to aways fly clockwise in the Northern hemisphere is tending to slow down the Earth's rotation, would anyone care to rebut it?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I was aware that if you burned all the fossil fuels we use in a year, the energy would be equivalent to 1 second of sunlight falling on the Earth. Transmitters would be many orders below this.

Having said that I am aware that powerful transmitters can create plasma in the ionosphere:

I was being generous to CD. In the case of the earth's rotation the main slow down is due to the moon.

Reply to
Fredxx

I very much doubt that. If it were true we would be able to power the world with less than 1km of photovoltaic cells.

Reply to
Pancho

Apologies, you're right, it's one hour.

173,000 terawatts of solar energy strikes the Earth, 10,000 times our average energy use.
Reply to
Fredxx

Just claim you've already seen it, it's rubbish and save me the bother. --

"The Communists are further reproached with desiring to abolish countries and nationality."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Electron warming seems a far more plausible explanation than the mechanism attributed to the CO2 molecule. In any case, it *cannot* be CO2. Unfortunately, people like you who are too stupid to realise it cannot be convinced by any amount of evidence. You exhibit the characteristic of willful ignorance outstandingly well. --

"In one word, you reproach us with intending to do away with your property. Precisely so; that is just what we intend."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Any claim it exists can only be exists. Is this your way of confirming it doesn't?

Reply to
Fredxx