Road Rage and cycle lanes

From same `paper` as the B&Q banning
http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/13216610.VIDEO___There___s_a_________cycle_lane__I___ll_________kill_you___explosive_row_between_cyclist_and_driver/
Not condoning the actions of the driver, but the comment about cycle lanes in the story from Tim Lennon, from the Richmond Cycling Campaign:
"...on a road like this, which should probably only be used for cycling and for local access anyway, local councils could do much more to make their boroughs safer and more inviting."
Apart from providing the empty and unused cycle lane what exactly else do you think should be done with council tax payers cash then one wonders?
Adam Aglionby wrote:

If its the one I saw last week, then the cyclist is a knob too. he should have let the bloke get out of his car, then ridden off, he'd look a right tit then, ranting in the road on his own. Or, punched him on the nose immediately. Anyway, the vast majority of cycle lanes are quite useless for anyone who is commuting/getting anywhere. It is because Councils employ people who havent got a clue, and think a painted line on a pavement can be the cycle lane, The downsides - keep stopping at each junction, the surface is usually far worse that the adjoining road, pedestrians regularly walk into the cycle lane, cars park on the lane, it goes up and down with each kerb drop/access etc.
If they spent their money on something that is better,and useable, then people would use them, but as it is, they are worse than using the road, so you wont see many people using them.
--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'
A.Lee wrote:

When on the actual road, what is the status of cycle lanes denoted by a broken white line? I can't quite see what this achieves.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On 04/06/2015 09:00, Chris J Dixon wrote:

AIUI it is a "guide" as to how much space to give a cyclist (if one is there) - if no cyclist present just feel free to use that bit of the road. If its a solid line then cars shouldn't be using that part of the road.
If it means don't enter at all then this road becomes just about impassable to two way traffic
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.086258,-1.766897,3a,66.8y,90t/data =!3m4!1e1!3m2!1srrdcetHYA7OlyTln7kbZbA!2e0
--
CB

Bugger all :-)
They are advisory - other vehicles can use that are of road, potentially park on them etc. (as opposed to the ones with solid lines which are only for cycle use)
I guess the idea is that it is supposed to encourage drivers to stay out of that bit of road.
--
Chris French

On 04/06/2015 09:00, Chris J Dixon wrote:

About all it achieves is the mate of the guy in the council who owns a paint factory stays solvent(<pun intended). It is of no use whatsoever to cyclists, or indeed other traffic.

Same thing as any other lane marking. Don't switch into that lane unless you are sure to is safe to do so and unless you have good cause to do so.
--
bert

On 04/06/2015 06:39, A.Lee wrote:

And have an upset driver in charge of two tons of metal behind you. No thanks.
Quite often if someone is driving like a knob behind me then I will pull over and let him past better to have a knob end in front of you than having to pass you.
writes

We have a beautiful segregated cycle lane near us set apart from a busy main road but some cyclists won't use it because they say it undermines their right to use the road. I was told this by the widow of one of the road's recent cycling victims.
--
bert

A lot of cyclists should be rounded up and gassed.
On 04/06/2015 07:07, harryagain wrote:

As should a lot of drivers. Lot ≠ all There are nutters in every form of transport they are not all bad but we only ever notice the minority who are knob ends
On 04/06/15 08:06, soup wrote:

I saw 2 dickheads on bikes on London nearly mow down another cyclist who was pushing his bike over a zebra crossing - missed him by about 2".
There seemed to be some irony there!

In terms of road users who do stupid things, cyclists take some beating. Even although those stupid things may result in their death or injury rather than others.
But then bleat on when one of their number is seriously injured that it is always the fault of the vehicle driver - even when facts show it is clearly not.
It is impossible in an old city like London to provide cycle routes totally isolated from other traffic - they will always have to cross etc at some point. And the majority of cyclists hate stopping or giving way. Very noticeable on pedestrian crossings where an vast number will ignore pedestrians having priority.
Driving round London, it's rare not to see a near miss involving a cyclist several times a day. And in the vast majority of the cases caused by the cyclist ignoring the highway code.
For all types of traffic to co-exist on our roads, there have to be rules followed by all. Not just the ones that suit an individual at any point in time.
--
*It ain't the size, it's... er... no, it IS ..the size.

Camberwell New Road down to Peckham Road was the eye opener for me.
--
Adam

I can't agree with you there. ALL cyclists should be rounded up and gassed.

On 04/06/2015 11:22, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I can't agree with you there. There are some absolute knob ends but most are generally good but every now and then they misjudge things. Note this is cyclists in general, not commuters through London some of the *&^% that goes on there terrifies me. Never yet met a driver who has never misjudged anything and been grateful for an empty road/attentive other road users etc.
On 04/06/15 11:22, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

What about people who use BorisBikes?
On Thursday, 4 June 2015 11:44:34 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

Here's one that decided to use a unicycle
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/im-lucky-to-be-alive-says-unicyclist-who-was-freed-from-under-bus-in-walthamstow-10290615.html

For once I agree with Harry.
Last night the lights turned green and I moved forward only to have to slam on the brakes as a lycra wonder shot through his red lights at 28mph. I turned left and followed him, that's why I know his speed.
Around here there are two cycle lanes, well separated from their derestricted road and that took the council several weeks to prepare and tarmac. One of them involved the removal of the lay-by which I often used en-route to the tip to check the security of goods in the trailer. The cyclists still use the road.
Worst of all is the Mersey Tunnel on a sunny weekend. They replaced the lighting then saved money by removing every other fluorescent tube. A few weeks back on a Saturday morning, having entered the tunnel from bright sun, I suddenly encountered a gaggle of cyclists unlit in the gloom a few feet ahead. I swung right into the outside lane only to find another gaggle straddling both lanes. I had to yank the wheel and cross to the oncoming outside lane. I should have reported them and raised the alarm, but failed in my duty. I'm still amazed that I have never been able to find any guidance or regulations about lighting levels in road tunnels.
--
Bill

On 03/06/2015 21:24, Adam Aglionby wrote:

Anything else (or don't spend the money in the first place providing 'facilities that no-one wants/will use) "magic paint" on a pavement does NOT make that area safe/suitable for cycling