painting house same color as neighbors?

Just soliciting your opinion if you think a house would look odd being the same color (siding and trim) as a neighbors. What about same as neighbors on both sides? I like a certain color scheme but it is very similar to many others in this area.

Maybe a dumb question but I think there is some degree of asthetic value when your house contrasts with one next door. This will be a house I'm selling within the year.

Reply to
Zen

I'd go with Similar but not the same If you live on the north side of the street go a shade darker If you live on the south side of the street go a shade lighter East side darker west side lighter Since your selling Most will view your house late afternoon, evening The Sun will be shinning on the north ,east side the curb side will look Richer less washed out with a darker shade and the South, west side curb side with a lighter shade will look brighter less gloomier

Reply to
spud2004

Depends. If the neighbor's house is bright pink or lavender, you'd be better off being different.

Use similar, but slightly different colors or vary the trim theme. A house down the street from me was re-painted a nice blue with ivory trim. The window trim and shutters are the same color. If one or the other was changed to something with a bit of contrast, it would look much nicer. Take a look at the houses you want to emulate and perhaps add a splash of color on the door or some trim pieces.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you're selling within the year, pick some alternate that would make the house look more distiguished than the neighbors, but blends in conservatively with what's generally found in the neighborhood or area. Folks generally don't like matching their neighbors, and you don't want a buyer thinking "I'll have to paint the trim and shutters or something....".

If you were to stay longer in the house, I'd say heck with who it matches, do it like you like, even if it happens to be the color scheme of your neighbors.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

ok, thanks for the tips to everyone. I'll just have to decide on what to do.

Reply to
Zen

I wouldn't. It'd look like shotgun shacks, all in a row.

Why are there so many brands of ketchup? Razor blades? Shampoo?

Marketing Golden Rule: DIFFERENTIATE YOUR PRODUCT.

Reply to
HeyBub

It would be prudent to talk with a real-estate person. I have no idea why yellow houses sell faster than green or blue houses.

Reply to
Phisherman

I see a lot of houses that are painted yellow. It looks nice at first, but after several years turns into an ugly brown.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd