Road Rage and cycle lanes

Camberwell New Road down to Peckham Road was the eye opener for me.

Reply to
ARW

In message , Brian-Gaff writes

White stick through the front wheel spokes behind the forks:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Just wait until you meet a Tesla. They can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds in stealth mode...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

3.2 seconds if you get the souped up version :)
Reply to
Tim Watts

Wonder how many of those it would manage before the battery is flat?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ITYM dead.

Reply to
dennis

Hope I don't.

Death is final. A new battery pack for a Tesla is reputed to cots $30,000 plus.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which, IIRC, Tesla will replace gratis. After all the bad publicity regarding "bricked" cars due to incorrectly stored or charged batteries, they decided to replace packs irrespective of the cause.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

We have a beautiful segregated cycle lane near us set apart from a busy main road but some cyclists won't use it because they say it undermines their right to use the road. I was told this by the widow of one of the road's recent cycling victims.

Reply to
bert

Same thing as any other lane marking. Don't switch into that lane unless you are sure to is safe to do so and unless you have good cause to do so.

Reply to
bert

where I live there is a several miles coastal dual carriageway ... with purpose built cycles tracks on both side. Cyclists simply do not use them ........ when questioned as top why they are riding 2 or 3 abreast totally blocking one lane of dual carriageway ... and not on cycle track ... they respond its their right to ride where they want.

Without insurance and without contributing directly to roads via Excise license.

Reply to
rick

Just because they are purpose built , doesn't necessarily mean they are fit for use as such.

I suspect some do. However, the sorts of cyclists who might be found cycling in groups along this route might not want to.

As it is, and as I said elsewhere if they considered the cycle track was suitable they would probably ride on that.

Sure lots of cyclists won't have, but how do you know? I have third party insurance by dint of my membership of cycling organisation. Most cyclist who are part of a club or organisation of some sort will have such.

Vehicle tax, as it seems to be called by the government nowadays isn't used to directly fund roads, it goes into the general tax pot. And most cyclists are probably also vehicle owners and so will pay vehicle tax anyway.

Reply to
Chris French

Even old age?

One of the early stories was you couldn't part up a Tesla at say the airport while you went on holiday for say 3 weeks, unless left plugged in. Which seemed odd to me, as even a lead acid battery on a normal car will last at least that under quiescent drain, with all the toys.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Careful of the fat finger, leading to a different meaning. 'Part up a Tesla'?

Reply to
Davey

I found that after 2 weeks near Heathrow, The electric unlocking wouldn't work. There was barely enough charge left to turn the engine over.

Reply to
charles

I'm not surprised - Teslas don't have engines...

Reply to
Tim Watts

;-) Part out. There will probably be somewhere doing just that in the US.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - remember reading somewhere the battery in a BMW wasn't covered by warranty if parked up for more than 3 weeks.

Of course if the battery fails, so does the alarm, so you might as well just disconnect the battery. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Absolutely nothing. Cyclists make no contribution via specific extra taxes in order to use their vehicles on the road and are an insignificant minority, only accounting for 1% of passenger miles traveled.

Reply to
David Lang

;-)

But they have a battery many many times the capacity of a normal car, so what's taking all the current? Surely wouldn't self discharge that quickly?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)