Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Metal Theft US-style
First the good news: GPS devices lead police to 8 stolen school buses

Saga Insurance - flat roof inspection
Our insurance with Saga is up for renewal. This year there is a new endorsement which says that any flat roof must be inspected at least every 8 years. Presumably this means that you will need a...
51
51

Cable Connector
Normally when I need an 'eye' termination on a piece of flex, I would use standard insulated crimp on terminals. In this instance the standard range of eye crimp-on terminals are too small. I need to...
11
11

Re: OT TV news - have I gone mad?
  London SW He is an attention seeker. He's got your attention so it worked.
13
13

Anyone ever used SIP panels?
Just pondering my extension project. Basically a lean-to design (6m x 4m approx) and 3 walls are already there so I need to renew the floor, build one long wall and add a roof. I was planning a...
15
15

oooops. Measure twice and drill once.
Fortunately no serious accident occurred. Should be an interesting investigation though. Two construction drills break through into a railway tunnel in east London on a busy First Capital Connect...
22
22

Building a gate - how sophisticated?
I've read the FAQ on building a gate and there is a lot of quite complicated mortice and tenon work plus different thicknesses of frame to fit the planking in flush. Offhand mention of power chisel...
17
17

OT TV news - have I gone mad?
I was at a customers house tonight and she turned on the TV and put on a news channel - dunno what channel it was. However the main headline was that Justin Bieber has attacked a photographer and the...
26
26

Fitting a new concealed cistern.
Fitting a new concealed cistern but am instructed that top of cistern cannot be within 40mm of enclosure. Cistern is if anything going to be higher than enclosure. Something is amiss! Can anyone...
3
3

oops
It will never happen to me, my drills are not quite long enough!
28
28

Is it me or is cable getting expensive?
Is it me or is cable getting expensive? 1 roll of 100 metres of CCTV cable, which is coax and power wires 1 roll of 305m Cat6 networking cable 1 roll of 250m of brown Webro WF100 Sat/TV coax cable 1...
7
7

OT:Washing trainers ?
The useless lump of lard known as my lad (!) has somehow managed to make his "skateboard" boots (cost c. £60+ - a present from the grandparents) smell so foul you can smell it from the next room. No...
20
20

Concrete Path - Painting ????? please help
Hi, I have a concrete path with steps leading to my front door, and it is an eyesore. I dont want to hire somebody to dig it up, due to expense and problems with ?pipes, drains, and the path extends...
3
3

rear-vented cooker hoods
I need a 60cm conventional cooker hood, NOT one of those top-vented things that look like they've got something from a wood-burning steam locomotive stuck on the top, but one with its vent in the...
5
5

air brick vents
I was looking for attractive hit and miss vents - white and preferably an attractive finish rather than tatty plastic. I could try spraying a metal version, but paint would probably scrape off when...
1
1