Saga Insurance - flat roof inspection

Our insurance with Saga is up for renewal.

This year there is a new endorsement which says that any flat roof must be inspected at least every 8 years.

Presumably this means that you will need a certificate from a builder or roofer signed and dated. Otherwise how do you prove that it was inspected?

While I can see that regular inspection is a good thing (as with all other aspects of a house) this seems to be yet another item where you will have to buy a certificate.

I also wonder what liability said builder or roofer would be taking on when issuing a certificate to say the roof was O.K.

Does anyone currently have to do this, and if so what does it cost?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Haven't a clue, are there any "standards" for flat roofs above those of the Building Regs? As you say is any roofer going to issue a certificate saying the roof is OK when he hasn't just built it or finished replacing it?

Ask the insurance company to explain exactly what they want. How long is left before the insurance runs out? It might be worth saying that you aren't renewing immediatly as you cannot comply with their conditions until they provide further information about how to comply and you will also need reasonable time to comply once the information has been provided. In the mean time you require that the current insurance remains in place and covering your property. Do this all in writing, snail mail, not email, keep copies.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A couple of years ago a friend was complaining that his insurance co was demanding a certain grade of lock be fitted before they would renew the insurance; he complained that this would cost ~£150.

I told him it would be cheaper to change the insurance company instead, which he did.

Result: no changing of locks, welcome decrease in premium.

Time to ditch Saga and look elsewhere?

Reply to
Terry Fields

Saga were featured on R4 this morning for issuing renewal quotes up to 5 times the amount quoted for new customer quotes.

Ditch 'em.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nuff said. I do hope you've tried shopping around a bit; they are notoriously expensive. Many (all?) insurers rely on customer inertia, or lack thereof, when it somes to unquestioningly accepting their renewal premiums. Which, considering they specifically target the elderly, strikes me as being particularly nefarious.

I got caught out myself when I took out a new home contents policy with them just after my 50th birthday - they were very good value - but didn't realise the bastards had signed me up to an auto-renewing policy; unfortunately I dropped the ball and before I realised and had time to cancel, I'd already paid a premium about double the previous years. Will never touch them again with a bargepole.

Reply to
Lobster

+1 It's hardly ever beneficial to have the same insurance company two years running.
Reply to
stuart noble

I left Saga after 1 year - the abstrads wanted about 25% increase. Went to Age UK for less than the original premium. The first renewal was up a couple of quid and this year - the second renewal - was down by a couple of quid.

Reply to
PeterC

Just change insurers and it will cost nothing. You will probably get cheaper insurance by not being loyal.

Reply to
alan

Saga have just been ripped to shreds for this on Radio 4 (Moneybox). Seemingly much worse than other insurance companies at this. Quoting 5 times rates to 'loyal' customers, which given the nature of their business, is probably a larger proportion of their customer base than would be the industry norm.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

finding one that doesn't nowadays, is about as likely as a lottery win

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Before you do that you might want to go and listen to today's Radio 4 Money Box programme and then get some alternative quotes!

Martin Brown

Specifically landlords insurance.

Any recommendations for alternatives?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

I've been using Budget for a while. Cheap and basic but does what I want it to do. I do, however, cancel and then take out new each year to beat the hike they provide as a free service to existing policy holders.

Supposedly a flat roof (or its covering) is only expected to last for

8 or 9 years, so it would appear that Saga want you to renew the covering each time.
Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Saturday 09 March 2013 17:33 Frank Erskine wrote in uk.d-i-y:

A decently done bit of mineral felt should be good for 1.5-2x that - assuming the deck is good.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I suggest you listen to today's Moneybox on iPlayer.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Interesting.

Got a renewal quote from them for caravan insurance - in my name but joint cover with better half.

Wife got a quote from the same company, same people, same caravan, same coverage - but in her name.

20% cheaper.
Reply to
Sam Plusnet

They claim to match or better any equivalent quote from another insurer

- which sounds great.

In order to do this, you have to have a written quote which contains your name, address, post code, DOB, _full_ details of cover, T&Cs, your aunties pet's name, colour of underwear etc. etc.

Since you can't dictate to an insurer exactly what they choose to write on their quotes, I doubt if Saga are going to be matching many (any) quotes.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

True, but it's a major hassle to read through all the T&Cs, Policy documents, search the fine print for exclusions that will come back & bite you etc. etc.

And do all this for more several quotes.

And none of that will tell you what you really need to know.

"What are they like when you have to make a claim?"

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I've been using Quoteline Direct for three years now - good value even without the Quidco kickback! And they don't jack up the premiums on renewal either.

But no experience of claims though.

Reply to
Lobster