oooops. Measure twice and drill once.

Fortunately no serious accident occurred.

Should be an interesting investigation though.

Bill

I often wondered what would happen if a tunnel under the river were to fail ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I don't think I would want to be in it............ .

Reply to
Bill

Made me remember this one - which is interesting because of where the construction guys *thought* they were digging - certainly not on a bridge!

(those Daily Mail headline writers would have been *really* confused)

The Woodlawn Avenue bit is around number 69, not as stated; the railing is clearly visible.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh, sorry I wwas looking at the plans upside down.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, it would get a bit wet I'd imagine. I always feel a little creepy in that tunnel at Greenwich. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I once went on an open day at a tube station near the river, and we were shown some gates that were to be used to block it off if it ever flooded. I doubt with health and safety now, that such a tour would be allowed! I think if they were unlucky enough to have a train between the doors at the time, it might be a very hard decision to close them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The ones at Waterloo were removed years ago.

Reply to
charles

That has flooded.

Reply to
GB

The chunnel was delayed because they drilled loads of text holes in route but never grouted them.. when the borer hit one the sea flooded in.

Reply to
dennis

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@birchnet.demon.co.uk:

Wasn't someone enquiring about long drills on this group a few weeks ago?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Long drill? What long drill? I didn't do nuttin'! ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nearly killed I K Brunel...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

There are still tours arranged to Brunel's tunnel at Rotherhithe at certain dates in the year

Reply to
tim.....

The Paris metro did do tours.

When I was working with London Underground many years back, I asked some of the staff I was working with if there were any tours. The answer was they had enough problems keeping the public from wandering into the tunnels all by themselves out of curiosity.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ah, failed to get the message.

Time for Plan B.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Huge

Whenever I went through this one, I wondered... Last journey was 1982, but it was supposedly closed at that time.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I thonk I might do better without the spell chucker.

Reply to
dennis

No wonder it took so long. Maybe they should have followed the eastern-european example and just had the pipes rise vertically into the air, cross the obstruction and dive back down. Could've even made it a science museum feature.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison