Subject Author Posted Replies

Chainsaw chains question
For a cheap chainsaw (Gardenline 41cc) that sees very occasional use, is it just a case of getting a replacement chain with the same number of links or are there more differences that I need to know...
15
15

LED panel lights
I spotted LED panels and wondered whether these would be a substitute for our worn out fluorescents in the kitchen? We just have an ordinary ceiling - not a panelled ceiling. Can these be screwed to...
59
59

New shower advice please...
After 11 years or so, our shower is in need of replacing as it is in a bit of a state. We currently have tiled walls, and a 90cm quadrant cubicle - something that looks pretty similar to this: Over...
10
10

A Tip: Changing Fluorsecent Starters
Today was a "Starters and Tubes" day in my workshop - I have 72 off 6 foot 70 watt tubes spread over three rooms !!!! (That's right 5 kW of lighting if everything is turned on !!!!!!) Many are in very...
22
22

OT Printer
I do very very very little printing. 500 sheets of paper has lasted me the best part of 10 years. Most of that paper has been used for shopping lists, notes etc. My very old gifted Epson Stylus Photo...
89
89

Cistern overflow - internal
My friend has a toilet with a conventional syphon flush mechanism but it seems to have an added on internal overflow that comprises of a float that when it rises it opens a hole in the flush tube. It...
3
3

Hard Wall Tacker - opinions?
Just seen this little gadget See video also. Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway. What do you reckon?
15
15

Re Washing machine not working
Update: As it turned out it was the brushes on the motor. Thanks to all for your input. brushes £8 on ebay, a cheap fix.
3
3

135000 MILES CLOCKED UP TODAY!
Not bad for a car worth £1500. Stunning looks, good handling. Five-star crash test rating. 2.4 JTDM is a great diesel. 200PS 1750 TBi petrol from 2010. - For more news, reviews and Top Tens, visit...
16
16

CCTV recommendation
Some time ago I had (links to ) recommended and it looks as though I might soon have enough round tuits to be able to go ahead. However, I would need to add two indoor cameras and they would need to...
21
21

Smart Meter - more
OVO installed our E&G Smart Meters last June, it worked fine, until November when I switched suppliers to First Utility. FU said they could not make use of the SM's, so I have been providing manual...
2
2

Condensation on clear plastic panels in my new workshop
I've recently built a new workshop in the garden, 5m square. It has a concrete floor that sits on plastic sheet to stop the damp rising. The walls are timber framed and clad with shiplap that has been...
7
7

Annual tax summary (very OT)
Just had my "summary" for 2015-16, this is the slick one page glossy which includes a pie chart of contributions to public spending. They've got all the basic figures right (income, basic and higher...
4
4

Just one Leyland tree - not a hedge
It's been v. interesting to see all the experience here about Leylandii hedges. I'd be very thankful to hear anyone's experience with how to manage a single Leyland tree. It is young and I want to...
40
40

2-Gang 13 amp RCD Socket
Thinking of buying MK K6231WHI 2-Gang 13 amp RCD Socket 30 mA Active But seems steep price (about 60 quid) : there are others available at much less. Is it worth paying the extra?
8
8