OT Printer

I do very very very little printing. 500 sheets of paper has lasted me the best part of 10 years. Most of that paper has been used for shopping lists, notes etc. My very old gifted Epson Stylus Photo R300 is now printing very poor black text, even with a new cart. Colour is fine. But I have Never needed to print in colour. I've done everything that can be done with the software. I'm planning to take it apart - gulp - and clean the printhead. Google is my friend. Then I saw this: https://www.tesco.com/direct/ricoh-sp211-mono-laser-a4-usb-printer/676-1263.prd?skuIdg6-1263
I will not be printing 700 pages even from beyond the grave. Should I mess around or just give Tesco 30 quid?
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message

Buy the laser.
Richard wrote:

Yes.
On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 21:15:57 -0000

And again. Mine sits there, doing nothing, for as long as I want to leave it, then when I need it, it just works. My old deskjet is now a doorstop.
--
Davey.

On 28/02/2017 21:05, Richard wrote:

+1 - Buy the laser
Around 2 weeks ago I invested in a Brother laser for £40 (wireless capability) after spending 3 hours attempting to get the black and yellow working on an Epson inkjet.
Brother want £35 for a replacement toner cartridge but compatible 1000 page toner cartridges can be found on-line for as little as £7 incl. postage.
I did eventually get the inkjet working using the various instruction videos on Youtube (resting the print head on on a water soaked pad made from kitchen roll)
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

alan_m wrote:

Been there, read it. Whilst looking for fixes for my Epson a chat window opened. I thought I was on some Epson website. Paul wanted to chat to me. Then I realised that I was not on a Epson site. Okay then, I told him the problem and what I'd done. He asked me what I'd done, so I told him again. Long delay. Buy this Mr Pounder, it will pull you out of the shit. http://www.marruttusa.com/printer-maintenance/inkjet-printer-purge-files.php I mentioned that the printer is 13 years old. Paul said that the fix will still work. Bye Paul.
On 28/02/2017 20:57, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I bought a very cheap Ricoh laser printer a while back. An SP100e. I have found it very troublesome, with lots of misfeeds. It was also, for some reason, very difficult to install the drivers. Fortunately, it's running out of toner, after only about 300 pages, so I can throw it away soon!
The one you spotted on Tesco is £3 cheaper on Amazon, btw.
On 28/02/2017 21:19, GB wrote:

I would agree laser, but possibly a better secondhand on ebay maybe £40
eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-Printer-Laser-Mono-ML-1610-/112317638729?hash=item1a26a72849:g:f24AAOSw~AVYtDBc
On 28/02/17 20:57, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I've no experience with Ricoh but as others have questioned it I thought it worth adding that i've had a few small cheap mono Brothers (HL2xxx) and they've been OK.
On 28/02/2017 21:53, R D S wrote:

If you only print small amounts then almost any printer will do. If you only want B&W then a laser printer is much more likely to work after a long period of disuse. Inkjets used infrequently clog up the heads and drink copious amounts of ink cleaning them again.
That said modern inkjets are pretty good for domestic use and there are some pretty good deals on combined scan/print/copy devices.

If you don't mind industrial ugly physically big then end of line printers can be had from the likes of Morgan Computers. Built to last rather than the cheap tat sold insupermarkets.
I have a Samsung ML2550 mono duplex and a Dell 1320cn colour that way. I chose them for having cheap aftermarket toner available (Samsung is a bit more expensive in that respect since the drum gets swapped too).
In its day the Dell was capable of photoreal output quality but things have moved on since then. Even so some industrial colour printers have dire colour photograph reproduction so are easily beaten by an inkjet.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 01/03/17 09:12, Martin Brown wrote:

That is all down to whose toner you buy and how you set up the color curves.
But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Perhaps but some of the ones I have seen in multinational corporate organisations look like they were setup by someone who was colour blind!
It didn't look too bad on printing PPT presentations apart from the soot and whitewash and incredibly dark rendition of embedded images. I wouldn't put it past their IT department to have printer colour management completely mangled, applied twice or not at all. But my printer could run rings around them printing the same content.
I haven't found the toner to be a problem. I stuck with Dell OEM toner for a while (buying up cartridges secondhand from returned units with the print engine trashed by ham fisted installers). I even bought an entire spare printer to get 2 full sets of original Dell toner at one point. I now use decent grade third party cartridges with no real loss of quality - and still cheaper than refilling them myself! I save the empties in the loft to refill one day if it ever becomes worthwhile.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I have an A3 laser - bought 2nd hand, I tried every setting to get the colour balance correct. Then the Cyan toner ran out - so I bought genuine HP toner - problem gone.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 01/03/17 12:02, charles wrote:

Found similar with 'refills'
In my case it was magenta...UKIP magenta ;-)
BUt that's why you have things like the Gimp - to adjust color balance for printing.
Inkjets fade in sunlight too
On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 13:57:30 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My old 10+ year old espon was 20 years I;m sure there are some that claim 100+ years for colour retention but it does denpend where they are. Plenty of kebab shops have very pale pictures of their range in windows.
On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 06:20:05 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave wrote:

I've a rather nice picture of a glorious cock pheasant that was printed as a demo from a Xerox photocopier at work and it's been exposed to daylight, but not direct sunshine, since the mid-70s. The running costs of that machine must have been v. high, but in those days Plessey could afford them.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 16:58:39 UTC, PeterC wrote:

They used to use amazon poisonous frogs and anything else with bright garish colours to show how good a colour printer is, that doesn't fool photographers who would perfer to see delicate skin tones as a test. Like my cheapish 24" monitor looks fine for playing games but skin tones look crap as do most delicate hues and colours.
On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 16:58:39 UTC, PeterC wrote:

that was just asking to be snipped. :-)
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

.. said the mohel.

It is a bit pot luck. Find a decent supplier and stick with them.

Surprisingly quickly if in strong sunlight and the wrong sort of paper. I reckon posters last a month before fading is obvious with the Canon magenta dye fading the fastest (when on outdoor noticeboards in full sun). These days I use cheap third party inks as the printer is old.
Pigment based inks are more stable and last considerably longer but seem to be more inclined to jam the print head and require a based coat clear lacquer if you want a true gloss finish on a home made print.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown