Cistern overflow - internal

My friend has a toilet with a conventional syphon flush mechanism but it seems to have an added on internal overflow that comprises of a float that when it rises it opens a hole in the flush tube. It seems quite heath robinson. There is a metal U shaped band with a rubber lining that is normally closing a hole with a rubber surround in the down tube.

Before we try to adapt something to suit - I wondered if anyone can identify it from the description and suggest a source of a repair kit.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA72ABB5901CFATrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.222:

DerbyBorn

How bizarre. I would just replace the hole (sic) thing with a Fluidmaster jobbie with built-in overflow and push button unit.

Replace the ball-c*ck with the companion Fluidmaster valve while you're at it.

Reply to
Graham.

Graham. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Agreed - but it means removing the cistern which carries some risks when in another person's house.

Reply to
DerbyBorn