Converting a toilet to be internal overflow

Hi, had some building work done, and the existing bathroom toilet overflow is now inside a new part of the house! I notice in B&Q most new toilets have internal overflows. I am planning on getting the bathroom redone eventually, but need a mean-time fix. Is it possible to convert an existing toilet cistern to internal overflow?

Thanks!

Reply to
MarkG

yup, just replace the syphon for one of the dual flush or flap type valves, most have internal overflows as standard,

Reply to
Gazz

In message , MarkG writes

Yes - by replacing it (as IBM used to say)

Reply to
hugh

Ooops, forgot to include a pic of the existing cistern!!

MarkG

also need a blanking plug for the existing overflow. Never seen one on sale but I've never been looking for one. I was surprised at how easy it was to fit. Turn off water and then flush. Undo the two screws securing it to wall. Undo two wingnuts securing it to pan. Undo flexible connector from supply. Lift cistern from pan and empty remaining water. Remove rubber doughnut from under cistern. Remove big nut securing syphon. Remove nut on back of flush handle. Replace with new kit - take special note of which rubber washer goes where. (you might want to add a little smear of silicone grease) Replace doughnut (with silicone grease) Refit cistern. Don't overtighten screws in the back!!!)

Jobs a good one.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Would I be looking form something like this?

MarkG

I have seen a piece of ordinary copper pipe fitted from the overflow outlet down to the rim of the bowl. The end was flattened and just fitted under the seat. Not pretty. Possibly not effective (i.e. might not manage a full flow problem) but worked for 'ordinary' not quite cutting off issues.

Rod

Reply to
polygonum

I saw one the other day where the overflow was taken down the cistern outside, then underneath and bossed into the side of the plastic main pipe.

But as others had said, the easiest answer is to change the flush mechanism to one with an inbuilt overflow.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I saw one the other day where the overflow was taken down the cistern outside, then underneath and bossed into the side of the plastic main pipe.

But as others had said, the easiest answer is to change the flush mechanism to one with an inbuilt overflow.

Reply to
DerbyBoy

inlet/float valve as well as the syphon. B&Q do them individually.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

replying to Tim Watts, AJR wrote: ours is constructed like this and the result is a smell of drains coming up through the overflow pipe and into the bathroom. would have thought an internal overflow system is better!

Reply to
AJR

replying to AJR, rde42 wrote: Why are you replying to a post that's over seven years old?

Reply to
rde42

I was under the impression that an overflow water flow had to be visible and not hidden by connecting the overflow pipe to the soil stack as apparently this this homeuserhub user has done.

Reply to
alan_m

That was at one time a requirement, but ISTR the rules were changed. Hence internal overflow into the pan is now common.

Reply to
John Rumm

but, into the pan is visible or at least audible

Reply to
charles