Question about toilet cistern overflow...?

Hi all

A couple of years ago, I had the kitchen gutted and a downstairs toilet fitted. Now this might sound stupid to you but I've only just noticed there is no overflow on the cistern. There is a photo of the toilet (with the pipes showing - they are now boxed in) -

is the best way to fix this problem.....?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

Might be an internal overflow which runs down inside the loo?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Ha - well I never - learn something every day.... it is........ just tried it...

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

The top of the syphon unit is lower than the total height, or should be, than the water can get to in the cistern. The water just rises up inside the syphon and runs down the loo bowl. Designed when high rise flats where first brought into use in the USofA, I think, using the easiest way to remove the need for extra pipework to take away any overflow problems.

Reply to
BigWallop

I noticed something similar on our bungalow in Northern Ireland. The cack-handed plumber had run the pipe into the wall cavity of an internal wall and just stopped it there !

Far from the worst bodge committed on that nightmare too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Our downstairs loo has a little float, that if the water level gets too high it pulls a sleeve up that opens a hole in the siphon letting overflow water out. I know all about it as during the first snagging visit my brother (a buildings inspector) overflowed all the loo tanks (and loft tank) and the downstairs one just overflowed onto the carpet as the floating thing had been incorrectly fitted. Didn't need to overflow the loft tanks as the builders had failed to connect the overflow pipes anyway, just leaving them laying nice and flat across the insulation.

Reply to
Ian Middleton