Toilet Syphon and Torbeck Variflush Valves

Hi all

Hoping for some clarification and opinions here please.

Some syphons are advertised with the wording "can be used as internal overflow" associated. Does this mean that water is expected to overflow through the syphon? Therefore the max level will be a bit higher than the underside of the top horizontal "leg" IYSWIM. So for this to work, the height of the syphon will be dicated by the height of the cistern and the required max water level in it?

What are the implications of fitting a shorter (less tall) syphon, if the previously installed model actually stuck above the top of the cistern wall? Is it simply that the water will have been lifted maybe 6" more so the velocity will be slightly less into the pan?

Is anyone using the Torbeck Variflush valve as an alternative. This looks like a hybrid arrangement (incorporating an external float) when compared to the sleeker, but far more expensive, offerings from Grohe and Geberit. Any comments on the Torbeck gratefully received as they are available from Screwfix at £10.50. Is the button quality OK? Will the button and flush valve last?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

It's also available from BES Ltd for £7.52

'd hope you get some responses to your other questions, as I'm interested in them too.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Just fitted one of these (Screwfix 43148) a few weeks ago. The main reason was that the toilet was originally installed with absolutely no overflow and the layout of the house is such that adding an external overflow now isn't an option.

It performs OK, it leaves more water in the cistern than the original syphon did so even the full flush is less volume than before but seems to have more force so it still does the job. It's described as "dual flush" but you can think of it as "triple flush" because you can get an even larger flush (nearly as much as the old syphon) by keeping your finger on the button until it stops.

For a full flush the central blue plunger rises to a point where it's held by a catch which is released when the float falls far enough as the water runs out. The size of the full flush is adjusted by moving the float up or down it's rod. Keeping the button pressed stops the valve from falling when the float releases it, hence the even longer flush. The button for the short flush only raises the plunger part way so it starts to go down straight away. The small blue lever at the bottom opens up some extra holes inside providing some adjustment for the size of the small flush but I don't understand how this actually achieves it.

Too early to comment on reliability but the mechanism is remarkably simple so hopefully there's not much to go wrong. Allegedly this type of flush is inclined to leak after a while, apparently due to limescale build-up but our water is very soft so I'm hoping we'll be OK in that respect.

Fitting was simple and straightforward, I used a new doughnut seal (Screwfix

17405) between the close coupled cistern and toilet - the old one looked like it might have still been OK but I didn't fancy having to remove and refit the cistern if the old joint leaked afterwards with the old ring.

The hollow blue plunger acts as a large bore internal overflow and needs cutting down to the desired height, it will easily cope with a full flow of water from a complete failure of the float valve.

The lightweight "chrome plated" plastic button looks a bit on the cheap side but seems OK.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

"Mike Clarke" wrote

Mike

Thanks for the informative response. ISWYM about the float arrangement leaving water in the bottom of the cistern. Also appreciate the comment on the plastic chrome button - might not get passed the clerk of works that one (er indoors)

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

Her opinion shouldn't count as much as yours, on the grounds that she always sits with her back to it when she's there.

Actually it's not too bad considering it's only plastic, in some ways a bit neater than a clunky big handle.

Reply to
Mike Clarke