Toilet variflush drop valve - sticking...

Small problem with the bathroom we did in April last year :-}

We've got a variflush drop valve installed, but for some reason, it doesn't stop after the water has drained.

Tapping the panel that the flush button is mounted in (sometimes several times) will make it go "clunk" and seal again, but it's a pain having to stand around to do it.

Anyone got any idea what makes them "stick" ? (i'm wondering if the cable sleeve is bent too tight or something, preventing it from resetting itself)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Oh, another question on this - it has the two buttons on the front - how far in do the buttons normally depress ? (if we press ours in ~5mm it more often than not resets itself, but it naturally wants to go in about 15mm if you just push it)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

Sounds like a case for giving it a spray of silicone lubricant.

Reply to
John

Don't think i've got any silicone spray, but i've got copperslip,

3-in-1 with PTFE, or white lithium grease in a spray...

Any of them worth a try do you think ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I would not even try them - but I would go out and buy some silicone spray. (Happen to have some in the shed...) Silicone spray is generally very plastic-friendly whereas oil products often are not, though quite often they initially appear to be OK.

Reply to
Rod

Will do, cheers...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Small update, and I think i've cured it - although not by altering the flush mech in any conventional way...

The central "valve" had some resistance at the top of the "lift" which I think was supposed to be removed by some mechanism once the cistern emptied - it was trying to do this, but not quite hard enough (you could feel the "tug" on the cable when it actually released)

The fix:

Remove the front panel housing the button mech Unclip the cable release unit from the back Add a small elastic band to apply slight pressure to the pivot lever Reclip cable release, and reclip the front panel

Reply to
Colin Wilson