some beginner's painting questions

Hi All,

Some beginner's painting questions:

1) for 8 sq ft do a really need a roller? Or can I stick with a brush?

2) if using a brush, can I dip directly into the can? Or, will the second time I dip it into the can contaminate the can?

3) do I caulk before or after I paint?

4) water cleanup. Does this mean the hose outside or can I use the sink inside? (Will it mess up the sink?)

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

  1. you can use either a brush or a roller. I don't like the brush strokes that brushes leave, so I would use a small roller. They come in small (3&4 inches) and larger sizes (9 and 12"). for the small area you mentioned, I would go with a disposable 4" roller. if you need a second coat of paint. Put the roller in a ziplock bag while the first coat of paint dries. Then apply the second coat.
  2. I typically don't like to dip directly in a paint can, but you can do it but you do risk getting contaminates in the can. For a small job, just pour some into a paper plate/bowl or a disposable clean plastic container like the little ones that cool whip comes in.
  3. if you're using a clear caulking, you can paint either before or after. If you use a non-clear caulking, I would suggest applying the caulking before you paint. Just make sure the caulking is labeled as paintable.
  4. This may get you unwanted comments as environmentalist will say either way is harmful. For the small area, I would use disposable items that can be put into a ziplock bag, and then wash up using the sink.

Robin

Reply to
rlz

Agree with the other comments. Outside cleanup would make a mess if it is paved. Sink is OK, use regular dishwashing soap and lots of water. I'm for disposables though. You can use more water to rinse the paint than is wasted by tossing a cheap roller cover.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi Ed and Robin,

Excellent advice. Thank you for sharing! Never thought of a disposable roller and a zip lock bag.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Either. But a small roller will usually do a better job.

The basic rule is to not paint from the can. Pour some paint into a separate container. It's no so much contamination - although that can be a factor if you're painting a ghastly surface - as it is exposing the canned paint to air. Oxygen is the enemy of paint.

Either. Depends on whether you want the caulk to match the paint. Also consider whether the paint will stick to the caulk you use.

If using LATEX paint, you can use the sink. Hint: A dabble of fabric softener make clean-up much easier.

Last Hint: Invest in one of the "Painting Secrets" books you find at the box store. The one I've got is chock-a-block full of useful tips. Here's one for free:

"Oil and Water do not mix." What this means is that you can spray your hands with PAM before you start and you won't end up all speckeled.

One more: Cling wrap on your glasses makes cleaning them trivial.

Reply to
HeyBub

Here are two more rules that you won=92t find in any book:

  1. Don=92t paint hinges or locks or any mechanical parts.
  2. You need to sand-down close clearances on cabinets=20 and doors before you paint.=20
Reply to
recyclebinned

Todd wrote in news:k3g0t4$l57$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That depends entirely on what you're painting. If it's a scuffed or damaged area in the middle of a wall that was previously painted with a roller, then you should use a roller, otherwise the surface will have a visibly different texture and it won't look right.

What are you painting?

That's what most people do.

"Contaminate" it with what? If whatever you're painting is so dirty that you'd contaminate the can by dipping the brush twice, it's too damn dirty to paint in the first place.

After. It's too hard to paint a decent-looking edge on a bead of caulk.

Either one. Latex paint won't harm your grass. Also won't damage the sink, as long as you rinse it off completely. If you do it outside, make sure you do it in the lawn, not over a driveway, sidewalk, patio, decorative stone, colored mulch, etc -- you _will not_ get it rinsed well enough to avoid leaving a stain, no matter how hard you try.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I can't paint without getting it everywhere. I cover up everything and it still gets everywhere.

I did see a tip to use a rubber band to take excess paint off of the brush.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Thank you

Reply to
Todd

Thank you

Reply to
Todd

use a roller,

Wall and ceiling above the shower. I will go with the small roller everyone is suggesting

contaminate the

long as you

lawn, not over a

not_ get it rinsed

Thank you

Reply to
Todd

WHAT ARE YOU PAINTING ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I'm guessing it would not be hard to find those advices in books.

.

  1. Don?t paint hinges or locks or any mechanical parts.
  2. You need to sand-down close clearances on cabinets and doors before you paint.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Forewarned is forearmed. Thank you

Reply to
Todd

Wall and ceiling above the shower. I will go with the small roller everyone is suggesting. (Wife pointed out she suggested it first.)

Reply to
Todd

What are you painting? If it's a touchup job, where other areas have been rolled, no. Walls, I'd say no. Woodwork, sure.

If you've prep'd well, you can dip the brush in the can. I do it all the time.

Do you need to caulk?

Sink inside. Rinse well. A bit of dish detergent (Dawn, etc.) makes the cleanup job a *lot* easier. Rinse out the brushes under running water and then let them soak in soapy water overnight. They'll be trivial to keep clean.

Now one for the group... Is there any downside to rolling on paint outside? I may have to paint the house we're about to sell and a roller would make the job a *lot* easier. The siding is Hardipanel with faux batons. Brushing the batons and rolling the rest would make quick work of the house.

Reply to
krw

HF and Lowe's both have small roller, about four inches, with metal and plastic handle. I really love them. But, the rollers won't interchange, on the other brand of handle.

.

Wall and ceiling above the shower. I will go with the small roller everyone is suggesting. (Wife pointed out she suggested it first.)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Try to get a paint that's mold resistant, but I dont have any problems with regular. My bathrooms flat paint.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Todd

Very good advice. Also remove the switch and outlet plates before painting. Also door knobs.

This may be a good time to replace yucky-looking hinges, too.

Reply to
HeyBub