painting questions

Looking for advice from some painting and decorating experts

firstly, is it best to gloss the skirting first etc, and then emulsion the walls, or vice versa. I'm thinking it's probably better to gloss first then emulsion second, as it's easier to wipe spilt emulsion off the gloss, than the other way around.

Secondly, the skirting gloss is in good order, except for a few 5p size paint chips. Whats the best method of raising the surface up to the same level as the rest of the painted surface: several coats of paint (time consuming), or polyfiller (quite awkward, due to the different shapes of the skirting)

Thirdly, whats the best method for not getting gloss on the carpet when painting the skirting.

Fourthly, any other helpful tips, etc

TIA

Jon

Reply to
jon

In message , jon writes

Whatever you prefer. I've done it both ways, though the 'proper' way is emulsion then gloss, I think on balance I prefer gloss then emulsion.

I'd go for polyfilla - if shallow a fine surface filler might be best. If it an awkward shape, then sometime a bit of car body filler is easiest to use as it holds it's shape batter And sets quicker

I use wide masking tape, taped along the carpet next to the skirting, then use a qide filling khife etc. to push the edge down twixt carpet and skirting, , have a sheet of card, plastic etc that you move with you as you work to put paint on catch drops etc.

Reply to
chris French

Cheers Chris, good idea about pushing excess masking tape down between carpet and skirting.

Jon

Reply to
jon