Painting

Hi, we have been decorating and unfortunately got gloss on the emulsion, and emulsion on the gloss! The latter emulsion on the gloss is easy to sort, but when trying to cover the gloss with the emulsion, the gloss shows through and looks worse. Any ideas and quick fixes please.

Thanks

Alec

Reply to
alec green

An oil based primer/undercoat on the gloss would make it more receptive to emulsion, but don't get that on the emulsion bit :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Simplest solution is just to paint over it where necessary. Next time use masking tape

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Very fine sandpaper? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sorry to highjack your thread, but;

I've always "known" that the "correct" way is to gloss first & emulsion second.

However, I was working in a school recently, and the decorators where in.

They emulsioned first, not bothering to avoid emulsion over paint on the skirting, door trims etc.

Their reasoning was, that the old gloss had to be rubbed down anyway, whereupon the emulsion spots/splashes would be removed in the process.

What does the team think?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have always done emulsion first. And generally agree with the decorators - though I do try to avoid splashing too much of it around! And and thick/big blobs get brushed out. I feel it helps to avoid gaps where you have been careful to avoid the gloss going on the wall - and then toavoid the emulsion going on the gloss.

But for wallpaper - gloss first! You used to see huge areas around the skirting where decorators had painted up the wall by two or three inches.

Reply to
polygonum

Emulsion is messy and liable to drip/splash everywhere as you are covering a large area quickly.

So with that reasoning, do it first then do the fine gloss work.

OTOH Emulsion wipes off with a damp rag while wet and gloss does not, so gloss first also works.

So basically, anyway that works for you!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I do the woodwork first. Emulsion wipes off gloss readily. Also if you do the emulsion first it looks like you've nearly finished the job but in reality you've still got 90% of the work left in the tedious preparation and slow meticulous painting of the gloss surfaces.

mark

Reply to
mark

To avoid drips etc start at the top and work down. So Ceiling, Walls, Windows, Skirting, Doors. Gloss first if wallpaper. Windows and door frames? It depends which is the least trouble: emulsion is easier to wipe off; gloss mostly has to be cut in with a small brush anyway; if contrasting colours which is easier to cover up/ is most noticable in the wrong place. Generally I prefer gloss last, but then I prefer flat/eggshell to gloss on woodwork

Reply to
djc

In message , mark writes

Wine before beer except on a thursday when there's an "r" in the month

Reply to
geoff