Painting a York Stone Fireplace

Just moved house and the wife has wants to demolish the seventies york stone fire place, thing is I like it and somebody put alot of TLC into building it. Unfortunately it was given a coat of gloss varnish, which looks yuk.

I was thinking of painting it with a stone coloured emulsion to brighten it up and get rid of the gloss finish. Has anyone tried this method? or will a fine piece of seventies DIY have to be demolished!!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Eeeeeeeek!

Can you get small sand blasters?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

[T] Seen a mouse Mary?
[T] 'Small sand' .. you mean silver sand as opposed to sharp sand? ;-)

You *can* get sand blaster addon's for pressure washers but they tend to ruin the carpet / furniture?

I would of thought good-old Nitromoors would be pretty good as the Yorkstone is not ever-so porous is it?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not that that would make any difference. What has porosity got to do with it?

Why would someone have varnished it?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Mice hold no fears for me. We live in a menagerie ...

Not quite, hadn't thought about the abrasive medium, just the plant.

You could move the inconveniences though.

And that's why I said small.

A shroud could possibly be organised ... Spouse would.

I'd doubt and argue and scream but he'd do it ...

All sorts of things are marketed as York stone ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

To make it shiny.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

[T] Well, I thought that if it was porous like say a std housebrick it would be more difficult to get the varnish out of the 'pores'? Being 'stone' I thought the use of a varnish stripper might be a go-er?
[T] Why would someone 'bend' through 90 deg a 1 1/4" plastic waste pipe rather than fit a 90 deg elbow .... ?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You can, but in this case I'd use a wire brush in an angle grinder. Whole job shouldn't take more than half an hour. Mask, goggles, gloves etc. will make it fairly uncomfortable, but very satisfying.

Reply to
Grunff

If the stone work is an irregular chiselled type finish (rather than machine cut stone), then you might consider a pneumatic 'abrading type bit'.... small compressor, with a bit which rotates as it gentle abrades the surface away to produce a new face.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Good idea.

Mary