We had a mason in to build us a new stone fireplace out of somewhat porous
basalt from the columbia gorge in Oregon. We had our nephew in to help us
with some other construction, and somehow he splattered what looks like
pizza grease all over the hearth. I've tried a bunch of things to lift the
stains (soap+H20, dish detergent, Tide, bleach) but no go. Now, I'm
disappointed with the stains, but there you have it- it's there. But I
don't want to go through this again. Is there a way for us to protect the
stone from future stains? Some sort of sealant, maybe?