Removing Lacquer from Stone Fireplace

We recently purchased a home with a large stone fireplace. The fireplace had really large brass framed glass doors. The brass frame covered up about 4 inches of the rock all the way around. Before we moved into the house, we had the interior painted and a lot of the woodwork "refurbished" (e.g. the oak fireplace surround). For whatever reason, when they touched up the oak surround, the removed the fireplace doors, sprayed on a coat of some kind of clear coat (lacquer?) and then put the glass doors back on. My wife hates the brass/glass doors thing, so I removed it. The stone behind all of it is jet-black with soot. I'm going to buy some stone/brick fireplace soot remover/cleaner and try to clean it. My concern is that, since there is a coat of a lacquer over soot, I won't be able to get the soot off until I get the lacquer off and I don't know if the stone cleaner will remove the lacquer. What would I use to remove lacquer from stone? Thanks.

Reply to
Dave

Thanks.

Laquer thinner?

Reply to
Lawrence

If you know for sure that it is lacquer, use lacquer thinner. If all you know is it is a clear coating, use paint remover. Paint remover contains stronger solvents (sometimes several) and will remove a variety of coatings.

Often, when you try to remove coatings from masonry with liquids, you only remove some of it and cause the remainder to penetrate deeper into the surface.

Reply to
Karl S