We had a candle spew hot wax onto the stone hearth of our fireplace.
Any ideas on how to remove it without leaving any marks behind?
I'm thinking the iron and wads of paper towels.
I ruled out the blowtorch option as a great way to leave a charred mess
From a www.google.com search I found a suggestion for wax removal:
Candle Wax or Chewing Gum on Hard Surface Floors
Freeze the material to brittleness by using ice cubes. Then scrape the
material off the floor with a plastic spatula.
I had the exact same problem, red wax dripped from the mantle to the quarry
stone hearth and the facing stone. I believe it's a sandstone.
I tried everything to no avail. I got off all of the wax that I could. The
stone was stained. So I got a color chart from a Sherwin Williams store and
got a latex paint that was close to the color of the stone. The stones were
different shades so an exact match wasn't necessary. I painted the stone a
couple of times and you would never know that it had been painted. I think I
may have thinned the paint a little so it would soak in.
And I got a bonus. We have a heat-a-lator fire box. There are two intakes on
the bottom sides of the opening and two outlets on the top. It has a fan. It
draws the air in the bottom, heats it in the metal chamber and blows it out the
top. A couple years ago I converted to non-vented gas logs. I bought a sandy
substance at the paint store. This is for adding to paint to paint steps, ramps
etc. to provide traction. I mixed some with the "fireplace" paint and painted
the grilles for the heat-a-lator and the gas line which was on the hearth at
the back after coming in from the side of the house.
They all blended in beautifully!
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.