Removing residue from my stone and brick fireplace

I have removed all plaster from my fireplace but layers of residue have been left what is best way to remove this without damaging original stonework

PHILTAL1

On bricks you can use HCl aka brick acid - but not on stone! Tell us what the residue is.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Those stones could be limestone or something else sedimentary. So HCL may be too harsh. I think I would start with some soapy water and a stuff bristle brush. Work up to a wire brush if necessary.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sand blaster. Possibly pressure washer and/or wire brush in angle grinder

Reply to
harry