Removing Paint From Fireplace Brick

The dining room in my house has a fireplace that has been painted white. The plans that I have for the room don't include a white fireplace so I am looking for suggestions as to the best way to remove the paint. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks - Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point Washington

Reply to
RWM

Are you talking about brick being painted white or the fireplace mantle??

Grim

Reply to
Grim

"RWM" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

This comes up quite a lot. It's a hell of a job that isn't often very successful--all those pits and crannies to clean out! Maybe find a color you like and repaint the brick? (How about brick colored?)

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
(none)

The actual brick is painted white.

Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point Washington

Reply to
RWM

You could sandblast the brick, but you must be warned that this is a very,very messy job. You will have to seal off every possible source where air can leave the room. You will have to tarp the floor to protect it. You can rent the equipment and all the protective gear, it will take practice as to not damage the brick. The sand or beads you choose to blast with is not cheap, but can be swept, filtered for large particles and reused, but it will no longer be very effective.

Its a major pain.

Hire someone to do it at a good amount of money, paint it again, or maybe grind the paint off the brick and use new brick or synthetic fieldstone veneers.

Grim

Reply to
Grim

My wife used paint stripper to remove the paint from two differnet fireplaces. It was a lot of work with perhaps a dozen reapplicaitons of stripper followed by scrubbing with a brass brush.

She succeeded in removing most of the paint, but there is a faint white haze that I doubt can ever be removed. It isn't perfect, but it looks much better than it did and I think my wife thinks the work was worth the effort.

Reply to
GigaNews

Did you check out

They have formulas specifically designed for brick. And before you ask, no I've never tried it. This Old House used it at the Winchester project on wood and *loved* it though.

Good luck whatever you choose, Nicole

Reply to
Nicole Thompson