R. Cott. 15

Levelling joists for flooring.

On 400mm spaced joists and 22mm chip flooring. How much *out of level* can I get away with?

Worst found so far is about 4mm! I don't want to power plane as the floor space is insulated with Rockwool and there are joist hangers and nails in the way. Taking down the high spots looks less work than packing up the low as I will be gluing and screwing the floor.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

any amount. The question is what are you ok with living with.

4mm sounds fairly trivial. Chip should bend to accommodate that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do you mean 4mm over 400mm?

I would just screw down to the 'low' joists. I can't see how anyone would notice 4mm?

Reply to
Fredxxx

No I've been in buildings with detectable undulations in floors so as long as nothing is compromised I think I'd just call it 'character' !!!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Hmm. This is new rebuild and an example of why I won't recommend this builder to anyone else:-(

An excuse for carpets perhaps.

I'll take a wood chisel to the worst bit and stop stressing:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Is that 4mm in 400mm? If so, then probably enough to "feel" when walking on it. So packing the low spots is probably way to go.

Much depends on what you are doing with the floor. If its carpeted its far less of an issue than if say laying a hardwood floor over it.

Reply to
John Rumm

that seems a bit harsh. I wouldn't expect floors to be more accurate anyway.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Progress so far is to chisel off the peak where a pair of cross beams meet the triple truss supporting them.

The floor will support corridor stud walls and is grooved lengthwise to carry underfloor heating pipes to a bedroom. The eventual finish may be ply topped with low tog carpet. Doors will all be hung to swing the other way.

Having lived for 20+ years in a house where chip floors squeak at the least provocation, I am using a polyurethane glue and lots of screws.

There isn't much I can do about joist hangers nailed over other than bash the nails down tight:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

When I finally chucked out the manky living room carpet with the idea of fitting 'laminate', I discovered that there were hollows in the marley-tiles-on-screed up to 20 mm deep !. This was on an estate of 1976-built houses, so we can blame the British Professional tradesman and his YTS trainee.

4mm is not worth worrying about.

Just remember to glue all the tongues of the chipboard else it will creak as the humidity changes over the seasons.

With 600 mm spacing, they even glue the chipboard to the joists or I beams too.

If you are worried, place a long straight edge across as many joists as possible and clamp strips of ply along the offending joist so that the ply touches the straight edge and infill the hollow of the offending joist with some latex-rubber based self levelling compound. Something that is not cement based that you can bash nails through.

Reply to
Andrew

Please don't get me started!

Reply to