Corrugated sheet shelter

I'd like to fix a piece of 2m x 1m corrugated onduline type sheet to a wall - act as something approaching shelter for my bike. It'd be into a corner, with the shorter end meeting the house wall, and the longer end onto a 6'/9" solid brick garden wall.

I'd prefer not to use a post, and have the 4th unsupported corner floating. Might this work, and any suggestions for a supporting frame?

Reply to
RJH

Triangular bracket.

Reply to
Capitol

Hmm, well the problem with most corrugated materials is that wind catches them and tends to pull them off of the frame. I suppose ith enough overkill on support points it might work, but I'm still not sure it will last. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Which will impact head in the dark.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It might, but once a tonne of snow sits on it it sure won't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not sure I can picture the set up.. could you extend a support up from the garden wall and then hang the triangular support suggested elsewhere from that?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I don't have the picture either. You say it is into a corner but your description sounds as though it is between two walls. Do you mean that the solid brick garden wall is perpendicular to your house wall? Is that as high as you want the top end to be, or is the height of the garden wall the same as the planned height of the lower end of the "roof"?

Superficially, it sounds to me as though you might get away with an unsupported corner but the devil is in the detail. Is it sheltered from wind, will it see high snow loads? If the garden wall is higher than the top end, you can screw a rafter (the sloping piece of wood) firmly to this, and provide one very secure edge, together with a good edge on the house wall. If the garden wall is lower, you probably want a triangular frame (for stiffness) comprising the edge rafter, a horizontal piece of wood along the top of the garden wall, and a vertical piece on the house wall. You might panel this in with plywood for extra strength.

Another way to support the "unsupported corner" might be with a straining wire from that corner up to the house wall just below the guttering (the more "vertical" the better). This needs to be securely fixed to the wall. You can easily provide tensioning adjustment with a turnbuckle.

Reply to
newshound

The maximum 'overhang' for these sheets is very small - around 100mm IIRC. Corruline would be less, I'd guess, as it's thinner than Onduline. Also, open, the wind might rip it apart.

Reply to
PeterC

It needs to run on cross battens, which in turn are either on rafters or a boarded roof, what about a triangular "sail awning" in the corner?

Reply to
Andy Burns

It would lean from the garden wall, with the 1m width supported by the house/garden wall at one end, and the garden wall and unsupported

9except by a frame etc) at the other.

Not sure what you mean by 'garden wall lower' - but that last sentence sums up what I'm after. I'd probably just bolt a piece of timber diagonally on the house wall, at the angle of the pitch. It's the unsupported corner I'm not sure about -

Yes, that would work, but I want to avoid anything that's visible from next door, partly because of the mess I'd likely make of it :-)

Reply to
RJH

Yes, I'd imagine a dip in the middle - so I'm thinking about supporting the long overhanging edge.

Reply to
RJH

Nope. Still don't understand.

Is the garden wall as high as the top part of the new "roof"?

Is the garden wall perpendicular to, and attached to, the house?

Do you want the drainage to be away from the house, or running parallel to the house?

Reply to
newshound

It's basically a piece of sheet bolted on to the back of a 'normal' terraced house.

Yes, I'd attach the long end of the sheet to a piece of wood screwed near the top of the garden wall.

Yes

Parallel

Reply to
RJH

I may be suffering visualisation and engineering failures but if lifting the bike is not a problem how about rotating the design: hang the bike from one wheel on a hook in the corner made by the 2 walls so you (a) need only a much smaller "roof" and (b) can use (most of) your onduline as a wall so the bike is sheltered on 3 sides. Bracing the "wall" then becomes an issue but that could be a brackets from the wall rather than a post.

Reply to
Robin

Thanks. As others have said, you will need to support the corrugated sheet by some sort of timber frame.

But I am still confused by your description. Normally, a 2 x 1 sheet would have the corrugations draining along the *long* direction.

I would build the frame for a sheet like that using treated timber, say two lengths of Wickes treated 38 x 89 as the "rafters" and then four or five lengths of 38 x 63 as the cross-members. I would build the frame on the ground, check that it fitted the space properly, then screw or nail the roofing in place, then put up the complete "roof", supporting it on separate timbers already fixed to the two walls.

I would still try to provide some extra support for the unsupported corner, if not a tension wire then a diagonal brace underneath the short edge. It need not go right to the corner, even half way would help. The more vertical the better, but if you need to angle it to provide access then the more angled, the stiffer and more securely fastened it needs to be.

But if your "long end" is along the garden wall, and the drainage direction of the sheet is parallel to the house wall, then this implies that you have a sheet draining along the short direction. I'm not quite sure how I would frame that.

Reply to
newshound

Might be a motorcycle!

Reply to
newshound

Ah yes you're right, my thinking hadn't got that far. It would need to slope down along its length, away from the house. Not as I'd said above. Mmmm - would look a bit odd. Maybe cut it in 2 and have the drain run parallel.

Thanks for that, appreciated.

Reply to
RJH