Removing sellotape residue from car paintwork

I bodged my wing mirror with sellotape, and foolishly left it like that for months. There's now a sticky residue left on the paintwork.
Can I safely use methylated spirit to remove that? (Safe for the paintwork - I won't be drinking it.)
On 15/08/2017 12:08, GB wrote:

Test it somewhere it won't show if it hazes the top layer coat. Most of the modern paint finishes are base coat with clear varnish on top. The modern eco friendly varnishes are nowhere near as resilient against solvent attack (and I have had problems with masking tape residues).
Swarfega is a lot more benign and will usually soften sellotape tack.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 15/08/2017 12:23, Martin Brown wrote:

I hadn't thought of swarfega. What a good idea.
On 15/08/2017 12:39, GB wrote:

Still try it somewhere out of sight. The finishes are easily damaged.
Pigeon poo is particularly corrosive at this time of year.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

We used to have a kit for removing label residue from magnetic media. It used eucalyptus oil as its solvent.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 8th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 15/08/2017 12:57, Huge wrote:

My mum used to use that to remove beach tar from children some 55 years ago. Luckily, there were no Koalas in Cornwall.
Cheers
--
Clive

Oh, I'm pretty sure there were. Plenty of zoos in Cornwall. :o)
--
Today is Boomtime, the 8th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 15/08/2017 12:57, Huge wrote:

RS and the likes sell Label Remover which smells like oranges. That's worked OK on modern car paintwork for me.
On 15/08/2017 13:36, Chris Bartram wrote:

Limonene - extracted from citrus peel.
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/limonene/limoneneh.htm
Probably OK but always test on a place where any damage will not show.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

With a similar problem, where old cellotape had left a residue on a painted cabinet, I found that it could be removed without damaging the surface by repeatedly dabbing with fresh sellotape. It also works for removing the sticky residue from hard plastic packaging after taking off the price label.
Alan Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org

Try WD40
On 15/08/2017 13:07, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

+1 WD40 followed by alcohol to remove the wd40 !

or fortify you while you cleam up
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

I assumed that the India Pale Ale (IPA) suggested by Brian Gaff was intended to do that :-)
Alan
--
snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@riscos.org
Yes and IPA I don't think that melts car paint, just don't use acetone containing stuff like nail varnish remover or stuff like that. Brian
--
----- -

I'd use white spirit.
--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 18:41:28 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Racist ;-)
But where did this term come from originaly and why not clear spirit.

Yep, there is very little that will get damaged by metho.

A likely story...