Whoops! For some reason a triple adapter decided to melt. Two things were plugged in at the time, both rated at 1kW, one switched on, one not. Both devices are still functional and undamaged. No fuses have blown, including the one in the photo, although when I noticed the problem (the day after I was using the 1kW device which I switched off normally the day before) neither device would operate, presumably the fuse had fallen out of the holder. I can only assume there was an arc due to a loose fuse? There was a slight dodgy smell when I was using the device yesterday, but I couldn't work out what it was.
On Tuesday, 15 August 2017 14:23:17 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
re plugged in at the time, both rated at 1kW, one switched on, one not. Bo
th devices are still functional and undamaged. No fuses have blown, includ
ing the one in the photo, although when I noticed the problem (the day afte
r I was using the 1kW device which I switched off normally the day before)
neither device would operate, presumably the fuse had fallen out of the hol
der. I can only assume there was an arc due to a loose fuse?
I couldn't work out what it was.
What did you have for dinner the night before ;-)
That looks much worse than I expected, I've only seen this sort of thing on
ce and it was a 2 bar electric fire (1.5-2KW) was plugged inin to a 4 way
extesion lead (a cheap one) the pin seemed a bit loose when in the socket b
ut that was after it was burnt.
I actually suspected a bee in the insectocutor, they make a stench like that.
Since nothing else was damaged (including other parts of the socket and adapter), no fuses blew, and everything else still works, I guess it had to be a loose fuse holder with an arc. Don't you just love it when a safety device causes danger?
If you wipe your ass with your bare hand but consider bacon to be unclean, you may be a Muslim.
It might have been the fuse holder clip at the pin end. Once these get
warm, they corrode and lose their "spring" Resistive heating increases
at this point, heat has conducted down the pin and cooked the socket.
It's a progressive failure, four amps is quite enough to do this.
Probably dissipating a couple of hundred watts locally at the end.
Now that's possible. One of the devices is a vacuum cleaner, and it does yank the cable sometimes. So it could have been the adapter pin in the socket contact, or either end of the fuse clip. It had melted all the way from the socket clip to the far end of the fuse, presumably by thermal conduction.
I married my wife for her looks...but not the ones she's been giving me lately!
Try "electrical socket". "Plug socket" is still ambiguous. And normally context helps anyway. "Plug the vacuum into the socket" is quite clear. You obviously don't mean to plug it into your eye.
I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same god who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them -- Galileo Galilei
Unlikely for someone to be confused between an electrical socket and a hip joint socket.
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."
But tends to get called an adapter.
When people say "plug socket" I think they mean socket. For some reason they add plug as an adjective.
Do you ever say "I'm just driving my road car to the food supermarket"?
Little Sally came home from school with a smile on her face, and told her mother, "Frankie Brown showed me his penis today at the playground!" Before the mother could raise a concern, "Sally went on to say, "It reminded me of a peanut." Relaxing with a hidden smile, Sally's mum asked, "Really small, was it?" Sally replied, "No, salty." Mum fainted.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.