Observation

After maintaining wooden window frames for about 30 years I have finally changed them to uPVC.

I really think the quality of them is fantastic. Obviously the manufactureres are well tooled up - but everything fits so well and is well designed.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I painted all my woodwork once soon after moving in (27 odd years ago) and thought "never again", so left them until they *really* needed doing, then replaced all doors/windows/soffits with PVC.

Ditto, even with pretty cheap windows (from the dunster house recommended on here) they were easy to fit (with a bit of help on the largest ones), seal well and are quiet.

Been thinking about self-build for a while (but no plot yet) and if so I might go with powder coated alu, or alu faced timber if I did.

But then if I consider a plot in a conservation area, they all go nuts about timber windows, some of the foil grained, PVC made to mimic timber windows (without welded corner joints, with real or fake butt hinges added georgian bars, equal sight lines etc) look good to me, but I don't know if it's possible to get them past the conservation mob - anyone tried?

Reply to
Andy Burns

We've replaced the windows in our last two houses with uVPC ones. The previous house had metal- steel- windows, with double glazed sealed units (added by the previous owner). The sealed units had a small gap and the metal frames, while in good condition, were terrible heat loss wise (condensation etc). The change in our heating bills and general 'comfort' was huge.

This house had wooden frames with narrow gap sealed units. The frames were in vary states of repair and some of the sealed units have failed. We had them all replaced with modern uVPC- the dark wood finish outside, white inside, with 'leaded' units. We also had the facias and soffits replaced and, later, a porch added by 'filling in' and open porch.

Again, the change in heating bills and general comfort was huge- no drafts, reduced bills, we were able to set the thermostat lower etc. an still be very comfortable. Plus, of course, zero maintenance.

In the 'old' house, we had white finish, which was the same as the originals. When he moved on, perhaps 7 years after the windows had been replaced, the windows were fine but a bit 'grey'- not the pristine white. We live near the old house and the windows are still, as far as I know, they and look fine. From the road they don't look discoloured- they will be something like 27 years old now.

The ones here have been in place may be 12 years, we've had no real issues with them. A minor problem with the fit of one window, fixed under warranty, and a problem with the front door lock, also fixed under warranty without any fuss.

We've been looking at several other properties, not as a replacements, an additional holiday place. A couple were 'Grade 2 listed' and the idea of not being able to replace the windows etc with zero maintenance uVPC filled me with dread. After years of not needing to worry about painting exterior woodwork etc, I really don't want to face it again- either as a DIY task or paying someone to bodge it.

Reply to
Brian Reay

go for new wooden windows. We have. I had a colleague (I say had becasue his funeral is next week) who foun the burglar resitance of uPVC to be zero

- a good push and they fall in.

Reply to
charles
[40 lines snipped]

Hear, hear. We've just moved from a place that was all-uPVC to one with naff wooden ones. We're thinking of starting to replace them rather than painting them - who can be arsed with that?

Nonsense. (A) The casements open *outwards* & (B) if the entire frame came out then they were incorrectly fitted.

Reply to
Huge

Wise move. I wonder how much longer it will be before they declare uPVC to be an environmental hazard, claim that it takes 1,000 years to decompose in landfill so we'll have to pay a *massive* tax on it to discourage its use. I'm surprised they haven't already tried this on, in fact.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The quality does seem to vary, though. Pal had to replace a couple due to the fittings rusting up. At about 10 years old.

I bought stock sized ones from Screwfix years ago - for the kitchen where I wasn't worried about looks. (Don't want PVC in the living areas which are original sash). And they've lasted very very well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stuff and nonsense.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It happened to Martyn

Reply to
charles

All the fittings are easily available.

Reply to
harry

DerbyBorn explained on 15/08/2017 :

I went through a similar process of fighting not to replace the wood with PVC. I changed mine 5 years ago, best decision I ever made.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

charles brought next idea :

Maybe the early designs, not true of the modern ones.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

this was about 25 years ago.

Reply to
charles

Which is all true :( not to mention generating HCl in a fire

Reply to
Vir Campestris