Painting window frames

'I' need to paint some already painted outside wood window frames.
I'm not *too* bothered about the finish but I want the paint to stay on, what do I need to do by way of preparation with minimum effort?
Ta.

There's no substitute for lazyness...however if you must...
Wipe down with a turpentine damp rag,wait for it to dry off for 5 minutes? then either gloss straight over or apply a matt base coat first and then gloss.
/Shudderrrrrs! at the thought doing it this way.

Now that's what i'm talking about!

Seriously, I have neither the time nor the inclination to paint them, however my sister has volunteered. If it is going to be done I would rather it be done properly but I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. What would be your preferred way of doing it? Sanding? Blowlamp?

on,
minutes?
Hah! yes blow lamp,have you ever watched a piece of glass crack when its heated up and cooled down too fast?
If the window frames are worth the effort? Nitromors and course wire wool. ;-)

What is the current state of the paint? If it is sound, with maybe just the odd bit of flaking then a good rub down with abrasive paper, followed by undercoat and topcoat.
If the paint is very poor with a lot of flaking then I'd strip it using a hot air gun (a cheap one is ok). you still need to rub down afterwards though. Then use a primer before undercoat and top coat.
I've been happy with the Dulux Weathershield Gloss system.
--
Chris French

chris French wrote:

4mm glass pieces are good for stripping old paint, but they need to be cleanly cut.

Despite assiduous preparation, I found this to be no better than el cheapo gloss slapped on over the existing coat.
I bought uPVC windows, instead.