Cleaning UPVC window frames.

I have just got around re-decorating a room that I gave a quick coat of Magnolia to make it habitable when we moved in here 7.5 years ago! It had been very badly decorated in the past (more than once going by the vibrant colours) by a somewhat slap happy painter!
My problem is that they have got pink and purple paint on the white UPVC window frames. Can anyone suggest a method of removal?
Mike

soak overnight with wet cloths, then emulsion should wipe off.
NT

sure worked for me last time. Unintentionally :( Emulsion is pva based after all.
NT

It took overnight. It just wiped off like a film.
NT

fwiw that link doesnt mention what binder's used in emulsion
NT

hot cloths like you get at the chinese take paint off hands really easily.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

soak overnight with wet cloths, then emulsion should wipe off.
Hmmmm, not sure how could keep wet cloths clinging to vertical window frames overnight.
Mike
MuddyMike wrote:

Gaffer tape.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 23:02:50 +0000, John Williamson

Car body filler.
And WD-40.
--
Frank Erskine

MuddyMike wrote:

fine carborundum wet and dry paper

We had emulsion on some of our rads. I found that B&Q own brand paint and varnish remover gets this off a treat. *But* I don't know whether the stuff in it (benzyl alcohol) attacks UPVC or not, so if you do use that (at your own risk) you'd need to to it on a small spot first.
--
Tim

Angle grinder? Or perhaps a plastic foam pan scrub with white spirit on the rough side of it. Be gentle and it will work fine.

On 18/02/2012 17:30, Mr Pounder wrote:

If you have ` a feel` for it you could use metal soap pads but dont attempt if you have never tried before without experimenting first. I can take the grime off old french polished wood and you can feel as it just breaks through the grime and goes smooth, its a delicate touch but you get used to it. I would start easiest and safest first (water) then move up a rung if that fails, very mild abrasives / scraping. I generally start these type of jobs that way and escalate to the point of `if I cant fix it I will need to replace it` when I have reached that point anything goes and usually then works.

Someone just had to say that...
Mike
On 18/02/12 15:56, MuddyMike wrote:

I found these worked: http://www.bigwipes.com/products/big-wipes-industrial
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 20:46:43 +0000, Chris Bartram wrote:

They look good. I see that Halfords charge 2 /less/ than Homebase does!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
On 19/02/2012 08:33, PeterC wrote:

Looks like a complicated formulation
34590-94-8 Dipropylene glycol Methyl Ether (6.0 % max. in the formula); R36 R37 R38; 67-63-0 Isopropyl Alcohol (6.0 % max. in the formula); F, R11 64742-49-0 Petroleum Distillate (5.0 % max. in formula); Xn, R10; contains less than ≤ 0.1% Benzene Alkyl Dimethyl hydroxyethyl ammonium chloride (1.0% max in formula); C, R22 R34; 64-17-5 Ethyl Alcohol (2.5% max. in the formula); F, R11; 7173-51-5 N,N-Didecyl-N,N-dimethylammonium chloride (0.18 % max in formula) C; R22, R34 26172-55-4 5-Chloro-2-Methyl-4-Isothiazolin-3-One (and) 100-51-6 Benzyl alcohol (and) 2682-20-4 2-Methyl- 4-Isothiazolin-3-one - (together 0.12% in the formula) C, R34, R43, R52/53 52-51-7 2-Bromo-2-nitro-propane-1,3-diol; (0.02% in formula) Xn, Risk: R21 R22 R37 R38 R41 R50;

Razor blade type ceramic hob cleaning tool or Stanlety knife blade. Shave hook for cracks and crevices.
That sounds do able.
Mike

If you want your windows to look like cr-p forever, you could do that. I sure wouldnt.
NT

That works well, but keep an eye out for any nicks in the blade and change it, as they will very easily scratch the uPVC.

--
Andrew Gabriel