Cleaning UPVC window frames.

I have just got around re-decorating a room that I gave a quick coat of Magnolia to make it habitable when we moved in here 7.5 years ago! It had been very badly decorated in the past (more than once going by the vibrant colours) by a somewhat slap happy painter!

My problem is that they have got pink and purple paint on the white UPVC window frames. Can anyone suggest a method of removal?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

soak overnight with wet cloths, then emulsion should wipe off.

NT

Reply to
NT

fine carborundum wet and dry paper

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We had emulsion on some of our rads. I found that B&Q own brand paint and varnish remover gets this off a treat. *But* I don't know whether the stuff in it (benzyl alcohol) attacks UPVC or not, so if you do use that (at your own risk) you'd need to to it on a small spot first.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Angle grinder? Or perhaps a plastic foam pan scrub with white spirit on the rough side of it. Be gentle and it will work fine.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

sure worked for me last time. Unintentionally :( Emulsion is pva based after all.

NT

Reply to
NT

If you have ` a feel` for it you could use metal soap pads but dont attempt if you have never tried before without experimenting first. I can take the grime off old french polished wood and you can feel as it just breaks through the grime and goes smooth, its a delicate touch but you get used to it. I would start easiest and safest first (water) then move up a rung if that fails, very mild abrasives / scraping. I generally start these type of jobs that way and escalate to the point of `if I cant fix it I will need to replace it` when I have reached that point anything goes and usually then works.

Reply to
ss

I found these worked:

Chris Bartram

soak overnight with wet cloths, then emulsion should wipe off.

Hmmmm, not sure how could keep wet cloths clinging to vertical window frames overnight.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Razor blade type ceramic hob cleaning tool or Stanlety knife blade. Shave hook for cracks and crevices.

That sounds do able.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Someone just had to say that...

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Gaffer tape.

Reply to
John Williamson

I use a good, sharp wood chisel slid gently along the upvc, followed by upvc cleaner that I got from Screwfix.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Car body filler.

And WD-40.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

If you want your windows to look like cr-p forever, you could do that. I sure wouldnt.

NT

Reply to
NT

It took overnight. It just wiped off like a film.

NT

Reply to
NT

fwiw that link doesnt mention what binder's used in emulsion

NT

Reply to
NT

Reply to
PeterC

That works well, but keep an eye out for any nicks in the blade and change it, as they will very easily scratch the uPVC.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

dry.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulsion_paint#Binder.2C_vehicle.2C_or_r...>>fwiw that link doesnt mention what binder's used in emulsion

hot cloths like you get at the chinese take paint off hands really easily.

Reply to
mogga