Cleaning uPVC window frames

Our uPVC window frames are in need of a good clean on the outside with some areas of what looks like mildew outside the bedroom window which is always left slightly open.

Other than WD40 and an angle grinder, is there a recommended cleaner? I've seen Stardrops with ammonia and Cif mentioned elsewhere.

0000 grade wire wool and a spray of any cheap old glass cleaner as lubricant. Finish up afterwards with a wax based car polish - another cheapie will do as well - job's a good 'un.
Reply to
greyridersalso

You can get uPVC cleaner spray from a PVC window wholesaler in a local industrial estate for very little, and this works very well.

Otherwise, try washing-up liquid in warm water and a soft (plastic) brush. (Use a good washing-up liquid like Fairy, and not some cheap/weak/eco type which will just waste your time.) For encrusted dirt, wet it with this and leave a while for it to soak through the dirt before brushing off, and rinse the brush often to prevent loosened dirt in it from scratching the polished PVC surface.

Never use anything abrasive - this makes the surface get dirty much faster, and more difficult to clean in the future. Also, some solvents can damage the surface.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I find the missus's nail varnish remover works well, but it is melting the plastic ever so slightly (it contains acetone) so you have to work it quickly, as it were. I tried some acetone on its own, and that is a bit too strong - one day I'm going to find out the best amount of water to add to it to get the balance right.

Reply to
Ivan Dobsky

"dissolving" is the word you were struggling for. Melting requires the application of heat.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Fair enough. I very humbly apologise.

Reply to
Ivan Dobsky

UPVC window frame cleaner?

The Medway Handyman

That's the stuiff I used for cleaning our second-hand conservatory frames and very good it was too.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW