Peeling paint on wooden window frames

Hi,

Just noticed that our kitchen window frame paint is 'bubbling' (the whole house has wooden frames and is only about 2 or 3 years old).

I'm wondering why the paint has started to do this so soon?

I think the house has a 10 year guarantee. Would this problem be covered? Do I have a leg to stand on if I demand the builders come back and sort this out?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice received!

Cheers, Taz.

Reply to
Tarique Naseem

I cannot answer why they are peeling, several reasons come to mind, eg wood wet when painted (unlikely cos it would have happened before now) badly painted in first place, etc As for getting the builders back/guarantee I doubt it very much. I suspect if you read your guarantee it will be for structural items only and not decorative. If the house guarantee was for 10 years I would have expected the external paint to need doing at least twice in that time possibly 3 times.

Reply to
Mike Taylor

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to get my paint brush out then. :)

When the days get a lot drier (and warmer!) I think I'll probably repaint the whole lot then.

Cheers, Taz.

Reply to
Tarique Naseem

Crap paint, to cvomply with non toxicity regs, and possibly dam in teh wood.

worth a try.

If te wood is wet, its maybe a more serious problem r bad construction. If dry, its probably a carse pof sanding away loose, and slapping on primer, undecoat and gloss again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You might want to consider a microporous pain such as ICI Weathershield which has a longer expected life tha nnormal paints.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Hi

What do you do if its the middle of winter, the paints peeling off and the wood is totally soaked?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Have a beer and wait for spring.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very little you can do. Obvious answer is why did you let it get like that in the first place. Paint normally cracks, peels deteriates over weeks/months not over night

Reply to
Mike Taylor

Not Barratts is it? Round our way almost every house had paint falling off in great chunks after about 2/3 years and we're not in the Outer Hebrides or Wales. IIRC someone did complain and got them back to paint it several times but with little joy.

Reply to
Scott M

That's how long cheap paint lasts outside, unless it is acrylic or microporous. When repainting, choose the new paint wisely and you should get

7-10 years from it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Fit PVC! LOL Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Shed gloss at a fiver a litre will last forever on the right surface but new joinery is tricky stuff to prime. Too sticky for acrylics. IME a thin coat of liquid gloss is better.

Reply to
stuart noble

I dont claim any expertise: wait for a comparatively dry day, scrape off loose paint, apply masses of preservative. wait for this to dry, apply one of these allegedly-microporous primers . You might also consider covering with plastic sheet and/or using a hot air blower.

Reply to
M. Damerell