Building Regs on combi boiler flue

Hi all, I am looking for some advice.

I moved into my current property about a year ago. The previous occupier was an old lady who got a grant to install a new combi boiler. The boiler has been put in a 'pantry' in the kitchen, with the flue passed through the top part of an old window, and around it filled with plaster/morter.

My concern is that a. the flue has insufficient support, and shouldn't be positioned through a wooden window frame (this is 2m off the floor outside). b. the flue is too close to an opening window in the kitchen (1.4m)

The paperwork received with the house included a building regs compliance certificate issued by the company which installed the boiler in 2005.

Can anyone please advise: Whether the issues above are in compliance with current building regs, and whether I am able to pursue this with Building control. Obviously the last thing I would want is to draw it to the attention of the local council, and then I am liable for getting it put right.

What do you think?

Reply to
ler01kjh

By the way, the boiler is an Ideal Isar HE24.

Reply to
ler01kjh

All seems fine to me - 600mm from an opening window is the minimum horizontally I think. It needs to pass through non combustible material, but not very much of it. Flues are virtually self supporting, so just need enough support to prevent them working lose. Building regs should be able to set your mind at rest, but I don't think there's anything to worry about. If Building Control did have a problem with anything, Corgi will make sure that the plumber who did the job puts it right.

auctions

Thanks.

To clarify, the flue doesn't actually go through the frame.....

The window is small (approx 400x400); it originally had two panes of glass, a large pane below a smaller pane. The smaller pane has been removed and the flue put through it. The glass pane below it remains. Both the frame and the window is original (1930s) and wooden.

Reply to
ler01kjh

The flue should need negligible support as such: the only slight worry I might have is that if you have old original wooden windows they might have been installed without lintels above tham, as they might have been deemed strong enough to take the load of the brickwork above them. Clearly if that happens to be the case here, then if a 4" flue has been shoved through the frame, then the window would no longer be satisfactorily supporting the brickwork, which could mean a lintel would need fitting.

David

Reply to
Lobster