Mosaics

I am doing a en suite refit for a neighbour and the top of the tiles are going to be two rows of glass mosaics (1 inch square on a net). How do you stick these things successfully? I have tried putting a thin layer of adhesive on the wall and then applying the tiles but that wasn't enough adhesive. If I put a layer of notched adhesive on then it all sqidges out between the mosaics! What's the trick/answer? I am only really concerned with the shower area really as the mosaic rows will be at shoulder height and I would like to get a good amount of grout in the gaps, elsewhere in the room I am not too concerned as long as I can get at least a layer of grout in as these tiles will not get wet on a regular basis.

TIA

John

Reply to
John

If it is white grout, use an all in one adhesive and grout.

Reply to
visionset

If have only done borders where there are tiles above and below. I leave a gap for the mosaics and do them later. Making *very* sure the gap is correct ! In your case I would put up a temporary batten since there is no row of tiles above. I then put a solid bed of adhesive at just the right depth (using a home-brewed tool that rests of the above-and-below tiles) so that when the mosiacs are pressed down flush with the other files, it "just" squidges - this helps them to fix them securely. I have seen far too many "professional" jobs where the mosaics are obviously thinner than the tiles, and end up recessed below the surrounding tiles. But I always need to scrape out the gaps to some extent - since I agree with you the grout must be a good depth if these are to be waterproof. HTH, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I can recommend the book, "Mosaic Tips and Techniques" by Sonia King for all of your mosaic questions.

sm_jamies>

Reply to
stacy