How to repair small handle on sliding patio door?

This is one of those round tuit problems, but as we're likely to be using this door rather more in the near future I've decided I really ought to do something about it.

The little metal handle that latches/unlatches one of our patio doors is loose on the small square shaft (it falls off very easily which is the major problem) and I'm a bit stuck for ways to fix it.

The handle is just a little lump of (I guess) aluminium with a square hole that's supposed to be a tight fit on the shaft. The shaft is quite small, I'd guess 1/8" square and only stick out from the door about 1/2", so there's not much to work with.

There's no maker's name or anything so replacement doesn't seem a very hopeful approach.

I don't see trying to stuff shims around the hole as being a very long term fix.

So, does anyone have any bright ideas on how one might fix this?

Reply to
tinnews

Photograph may help my visualisation of the cosmic all :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Can you drill and tap the handle, and fit a grub screw which can be tightened onto the shaft?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Drill right through and pin with small roll pin, or self-tapper?

JB Weld (epoxy glue loaded with powdered stainless steel)?

Reply to
Newshound

Yes, of course, I should have thought of that, thank you! There's quite enough thickness of metal in the handle for a screw to be able to be made tight enough to hold.

Reply to
tinnews