Loose refrigerator door handle

The refrigerator (GE) door handle is getting loose from constant pulling. I don't see an obvious way to get at the fasteners to tighten them. Any ideas?

bob

Well if yah can't see the way it's attached there may be some hidden access in the handle or you need to take the inside panel loose to gain access.

Reply to
A. Baum

bob wrote the following:

It will require removing the inside plastic shelf unit to get at the screws. It's not something that I would attempt. You may need an authorized GE repair service.

Reply to
willshak

What is the Model number of the refrigerator?

I think that you may be able to access the screws fro the inside under the magnetic strip that holds the door closed.

But if you go to the GE website and do a search for the model number, of just do a Google search for the model number, I'd bet that you'll see an exploded view parts manual that shows how the door handles are connected.

bob wrote:

Reply to
RogerT

I just bought a new LG French door fridge. The plastic was all over, even behind the door handles where they attach to the doors. I was wondering how I was going to get it out, and my handyman just lifted up on the handles, they came off in his hand, he took out the plastic, and put the handles back on and pressed them down into place. Look for the obvious. It was in the directions, too, but who looks there?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It's a GE model 20-27. I found very little info on the web. I added photos of the user manual cover.

You may be right; the magnetic strip is inside the door opposite the door handle. Now the question becomes, how do I remove the magnetic strip? It looks glued on. If I pull it off, it may be torn. Plus, what glue would I use to glue it back, and how can I glue it back so square and straight?

Searching for 20-27 on GE's website returned nothing relevant.

Reply to
bob

I think you need a better model number other than Model 20-27.

Here are two links for where to find the model number:

RogerT

Accepted Answer

with a small flat blade screw driver stick between the handle and the door trim on top and push it up and on the bottom push it down and you can access the screws in the handles and tighten / thanks Larry

Reply to
RogerT

Reply to
Bennett

Printed on a bar code on the back of the refrigerator is this model number: TFX-25VP

With this I was able to find parts and exploded view of the refrigerator.

But I already figured out how to get at the screw. Pull the upper handle cover away from the door did the trick. I added a photo of the loose screw at the end of this album:

The screw is very loose -- I could turn it with finger. Apparently, each time the door handle is pulled, it is jostled and got even looser. I tightened it. It is a sheet metal screw (no nut on the other side, just some plastic), so I don't want to make it super tight lest I strip the thread.

How do I prevent it from jostling loose again? If it was a machine screw, I'd use loctite. Sheet metal screw, I have no idea how.

Reply to
bob

I'm glad you were able to find the right model number and access exploded views online etc. The Internet still amazes me when it comes to finding information like that while sitting at a computer.

I'm not sure what would help lock the screw in place. I would consider trying a dab of some other type of glue -- maybe something like Duco Cement, but I don't really know what would be good.

Reply to
RogerT

Consider a thread locker like Loctite. It's available everywhere.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

This is the only way to do it (easy, safe, non-destructive)

jimandersonlv