Loose handle on glass shower door

We have sliding glass doors on the shower stall. Each door has a handle that looks to be aluminum. The other day, one of them came off in my hand. I'd like to know the best way to reattach it.

The handle is shaped like a 3"x4" piece of aluminum that has been bent in the middle of the 4" length to form a U-shaped piece where the base of the U is just a tad wider than the thickness of the glass door.

This handle was then pressed tightly onto the glass door. There is a small piece of soft plastic or hard rubber in the shape of a tiny U that fits along the base of the handle to act as a washer to make the handle snug against the glass and possibly to buffer the metal-to-glass contact.

The place where the handle was has some residue, but I can't tell if this is the remnants of some kind of glue or just shower gunk.

Anyway, the handle will not stay on the door by just pressing it there. It is almost tight enough. It will stay for a day or two or longer if I am very careful how I use it.

I went to the local hardware store looking for an appropriate adhesive. I bought a tube of silicone sealant that claims to be good for sealing showers and tubs and the like. Is that the right thing to use or something else? I am guessing that only a very small amount will be needed. Do I apply it to the door or the inside of the handle. And what about that little rubber washer?

Thanks

Reply to
Top Spin

Before committing to the sealant, call a local glass shop for advice. They may have some of the U-shaped molding that originally held the glass in place. If they want to do it in their shop it ought to be easy to lift the door off the track and take it in.That might be more trouble than sealant, but it should be a more lasting repair. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I called a local shower company. They said to use silicone sealer and throw the rubber sleeve away.

Reply to
Top Spin

I would advise the adhesive that they use to stick rear view mirrors onto windshields. Clean everything carefully first. Nothing will stick to soap scum.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell