Melted

[snip]

Lightbulb sockets? Connectors on a stove where you connect the elements?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

When discussing matters electrical, the *default* meaning for socket is one on the wall.

And when discussing an adapter, it's obviously got one plug part and a number of socket parts, because without a plug part it's illegal, and without a socket part it's useless.

I expect you say "foot pedal", too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's a "light socket". But the socket for plugs is the most common one, so you just say socket.

Rarely spoken about, you'd describe them fully.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

How on earth would it be illegal to have an adapter like the one in my photo, but with no plug? It would just be unusable.

Anyway, you most certainly can buy a strip of sockets with no plug. You wire it yourself using the length of wire you require.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Prick.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Prick

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Prick

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ah the usual intelligent reply from the village idiot.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My my, what a huge amount of knowledge you're imparting to the group.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My my, what a huge amount of knowledge you're imparting to the group.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I think more likely BO.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I didn't expect a more intelligent reply than that from you.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We obviously need a European directive on what it should be called to avoid confusion to those who can't understand English. Or perhaps a link to Wiki showing one.

I've heard several people refer to plugs when they mean sockets. As in 'that room has plenty of plugs' But plug socket isn't open to confusion - just a bit wordy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

110v requires heavier duty wiring for a given wattage. And with the US limit of amperage per 110v standard outlet means things we consider the norm, like say a fan heater for emergencies, is going to be near useless.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even a 1500W hoover is going to be a problem. That would need a 14A flex, if their tiny plugs could handle it. Who knows what happens with 3000W kettles.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Of course it's open to confusion. Half the title says plug and half says socket, so it could be either. It's like saying "put the cat in out".

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yeah socket to him.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Some people own and drive racing cars some prefer SUV's are they cars ?

Some are more particualter than others with their descriptions. Do you ever go into a cafe/resturant and when the waitress/waiter arrives and asks you what you would like to order you say food. And the waitress/waiter says "no shit sherlock" and you reply , No I'll just have the food today ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Eggzactly.

Reply to
FMurtz

But socket doesn't require an adjective, especially with context.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword