Toilet cistern syphon

I need to replace the syphon in our cistern as flushing is increasingly difficult, but I'm not sure if it's an 8" or 9.5" syphon

- which is it more likely to be?

Also, would it be better to replace it with a flapper type cistern valve? Do these give a better flush?

Thanks.

Reply to
Steve

Marginally, but the big disadvantage is that they start to leak within 18 months. Syphons, unless damaged, *never* leak. Shortly I'll replace my flapper with a syphon.

Reply to
<me9

"Steve"

They vary, can be 7.5, 8, 9 or 9.5 inches. I replaced two syphons recently and they were both 9 inch units but an 8 or 9.5 inch syphon would have fitted in the cisterns. Either measure the syphon from the bottom of the cistern to the top of the syphon (it will NOT be the same measurement as is on the pack, just measure the syphon in the shop from the flange to the top) or remove the knackered unit and take it with you to get one of a similar size. I use clear silicone sanitary sealant on the flange, washer and plastic nut to prevent leaks.

Reply to
DIY

|!I need to replace the syphon in our cistern as flushing is |!increasingly difficult, but I'm not sure if it's an 8" or 9.5" syphon |!- which is it more likely to be? |! |!Also, would it be better to replace it with a flapper type cistern |!valve? Do these give a better flush?

First clean off the crud, then try liberal applications of light lubricating oil, and then make sure that all the parts work freely.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Most likely it just needs a new diaphragm.. This is about all that can fail unless it has been really abused

Reply to
John

The el cheapo's can develop splits. I replaced diaphragms on two occassions in the last 12 months and it hasn't solved the problem. Now I just fit a new syphon.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I use clear silicone

Reply to