Toilet: Dual flush retrofit?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a dual flush retrofit kit for a 1.6 gallon US toilet. I've found some models available in Austraila, but I've been hard pressed to find anything State-side. Ideally, I'd like to have a half flush (0.8 - 1.0 gal) for liquid waste and a full flush for solids. I know these used to be sold, but no one seems to carry them now.

A call to Home Depot was responded to with "We don't have them, but it sounds like a great idea."

Any leads on products or plans to fabricate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
thetikki

A google search on "dual flush toilet" turned up pages of links. They are still out there.

Try a urinal....or make your family resort to the lawn for number

1....~:>
Reply to
cornytheclown

I've run through umpteen pages of web searches. I know that I can get a new dual flush toilet, but I'm looking for a cheap solution to convert what I've got. I've found some articles from the late 90s referencing products for $30 that could convert a toilet as such, but those companies don't seem to exist anymore.

If you happened across a seem> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Nick

Or, depending on your family's olefactory and other sensibilities try not flushing every time someone pees in it.

When there were severe water shortages in parts of the US a few years ago I saw signs in office bathrooms reading, "If it's yellow, let it mellow; If it's brown, flush it down."

*************

If you're really hung up on getting a "partial flush" for number ones, here's a couple of ideas.

  1. Use a bucket filled from the bathtub spout to manually slosh just enough into the bowl to get the flush you want.

  1. leave the top off the toilet tank and a stick standing up inside it. Use the stick to push the flapper valve closed to stop the flush when you want to.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

For about $ 4-5 the HD sells a "Flapper with adjustable Float". It replace your standard flapper chain with a chain that has a movable float. This will allow you to reduce the volume of a normal flush.

If you depress and release the flush lever normally, a reduced amount of water is used for flushing (#1). If you hold the lever down until the flush is complete, the whole tank is emptied (#2).

Reply to
Walter R.

thestuccocompany.com had written this in response to

:

This is the adm> I've run through umpteen pages of web searches. I know that I can get

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 273442 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
thestuccocompany.com

This is a project I have been putting off for a long time. The basic idea is to put a pipe tee to the toilet tank shutoff valve. One outlet continues to the toilet tank refill tube. The other outlet will be connected to a 1/4 inch stainless steel tube that will snake its way to the bowl rim and discharge into the bowl. Of course I'll have to put a spring loaded shutoff valve in this tube. This valve will allow me to swirl a jet of water into the bowl on demand to flush out liquid waste. The valve can be hand or foot operated.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Do what the hippies do: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

Reply to
HeyBub

We produce low cost solutions towards water conservation needs & offer a dual flush retrofit kit that works, is cUPC approved & routinely provides 1.0 / 1.6 gpf on any 1.6 toilet in good working order.

For those interested in installing a new toilet, our new HET WaterSense models will be available in May at considerably less than what present DFTs run.

For more > Hi all,

Reply to
KBD

Try the Dual Flush Toilet Retrofit kit by Aquanotion here Dual Flush Toilet

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 281421 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
twoflush

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 340922 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##