Dual flush question

Recently had two new toilets installed, both dual flush. Problem is, it seems you have to push and hold the button (short or long flush) on either toilet to flush properly. It's quite an annoyance as you have to wait there with your finger down until its done - I was expecting to push the button once and walk away. Should they be like this or do I need to adjust something?

TIA Marc

Reply to
Cokey

The one I'm about to install has a "button within a button" actuator. If you press the inner button you get the short flush, but if you push the main button it actuates the full flush.

This works simply because when you push the main button it goes a bit further in, and so latches the flush lifter into a second position that is only released when the cistern is empty.

If you don't have a dual button, you might find that just pushing the button harder will latch the full flush. OTOH it may just be the way yours is designed. The old siphon-lever ones worked like that, you had to hold the handle down until the cistern emptied to get the max. flush.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Jones

Is it a torbeck type valve ? If so, have you got the float fitted ? (polystyrene usually). The float keeps the valve open until the water level drops below it and then the valve drops letting the valve close. You can adjust the amount of water used for the flush by altering the height of the float on its rod. If there is no float, the valve shuts as soon as you take your finger off the button. However, even if the float is fitted properly, the short flush can sometimes be so short that by the time you release the button you are already holding the valve open since the water level has gone past the float ! I am in two minds about these new fangled things. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Another type I've come across in Spain works like this: Push and release = Full flush P&R followed by another P&R = timed flush.

Cheers Don

Reply to
Donwill

As others have said- you do get various types.

I reckon I have the same sort as yourself. Press and release gives a full flush Press and hold for 1-2 seconds gives a short flush.

Personally I've absolutely no problem with this and I've never found the extra second to be a major in-convenience :-), it normally takes me longer than this to work out what button is to be pressed on a dedicated dual flush type with two buttons. In any case I'm not aware of any adjustment that can be made to change this time.

cheers

David

Reply to
David M

The 2 dual flush I have fitted have the largest button for the largest flush and, wait for it, the smallest button for the smallest flush. Both require a first press to operate.

Reply to
Broadback

Hi, I had the same issue with mine. When my loo was supplied there were

2 long plastic plungers and these need to be cut to size. In my case, there was a template thingy I was supposed to use to get the length right and I lost it, consequently i cut the plungers too short and the same thing happens.

Simple test to see if this is your problem. remove the mechanism then push down using something like a screw driver. If both sides work with a small push then you will need to make some longer plungers. In my opinion these dual flush should work with a single push and then you have a fighting chance that kids will use it properly. Not much chance if they have to hold it for a couple of seconds.

Tim

Reply to
deckertim

My 2 button flush has a larger lower button for long flush, a smaller higher button for short. Originally the short flush button was on the left, and, due to the ergonomics guests would press this and wonder why there was a 0.5 seconds burst of water and their doings still there but a little cleaner. So I rotated the controls so that the short flush button was at the back. The hand now naturally falls onto the long flush button, which is a lot better. I also screwed the float practically off it's arm in order to get the longest flush possible from the cistern. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

It varies by product

I've just installed some Grohe equipment in a cloakroom and it works well.

The button is connected via pneumatic tubes and the diagrams show #1 and #2

These are a reasonable representation of the desired action. For the moment, I've discouraged #2 because the pan will need to be removed for tiling.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Andy Hall writes

I wondered how long #1 and #2 would take to appear in a thread about flushing... ;-)

I'll get me coat,

Reply to
Kenny

Not long. It's called poetry in motion.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Don't you mean motion in pottery?

I floated, lonely as a turd...

Reply to
Guy King

A host of golden daffodils in Etruria?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I took a look at the cistern and found that the buttons both have a prong attached that in turn pushes a button within the cistern to flush. These prongs are threaded and adjustable in length, via turning. I lengthend both prongs, so they were nearly touching the internal buttons of the cistern, and now when pressed they flush without having to keep your finger down. The flush is also much more vigorous and more like I originally expected it to be.

Apparantly making sure they flushed properly was too much for the lazy bast@rd plumber to do when he installed them!

Marc.c

Reply to
Cokey