Sticking flush button on dual flush toilet

Have got one of these new-fangled dual flush toilets and the "large flush" button has a tendency to stick and allow a constant trickle of water into the pan.

I have no idea how these flushes work - there is a chamber inside the cistern below the two buttons, and just a length of thin plastic pipe going to the flush mechanism - for I know they may be all the same or different makes may use different system.

I have tried spraying WD40 into the chamber from the top by pressing down the buttons and letting it seep in, on the assumption that the large flush button is sticking on the side of the chamber, but that seems to only half a solution. I would welcome some enlightenment as to how these work, whether I am likely to be able to replace the buttons, and/or how I can stop the button sticking.

TIA

Keith

Reply to
Keefiedee

Is it actually a pipe - as in tube?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

As I recall - only having tinkered with one once where the top button was actually missing and the spring sticking out - the external ring unscrews the top if you have dry and sticky enough fingers. The central plunger was a bit fussy as I recall. (The missing button I found a suitable screw wine bottle cap did the job and looked better than the original.)

Spamlet

_ Yeah - most are a Bowden type cable (alright some are pneumatic) - in which case the cable could have been damaged or corroded.

Reply to
John

just as an aside - funny how people suspect the button when the fault is more likely to be somewhere else. A bit like pressing the button harder on the TV remote when the battery needs changing - or turning the ignition key more vigorously if the car won't start - or pressing the Lift button more times if the lift is a long time - even though it is lit up..

Reply to
John