My gas fire keeps going out

Hi, We have a cannon gas fire which has recently started to shut itself off

after only 20 mins of operation. Also, In order to turn it on, I need to blow the flames (like a camp fire) so that it will stay on. Perhaps

this is an indication of the problem?

Before calling in an expert, are there some simple things that I can check?

Also, there is some gold coloured grit which came with the fire - anyone know what purpose this serves pls?

all help much appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In article , Steve writes

This is a common indication of a blocked or misdirected pilot flame. The fire is likely to have a single pilot jet pointing at a heat sensitive thermocouple. If the flame is not heating the thermocouple properly the fire will go out. Look and see if this is the case and if it is then clean the pilot jet with a soft (brass) wire brush, it will sometimes have a removable cover. Be aware that if the pilot jet has become blocked then the fire may well be due for a service.

If it is a new fangled fire it may have an oxygen depletion sensor which stops the fire working if there is insufficient oxygen in the room for complete combustion. If that is the case you may have a more serious problem but I have no experience of that type of fire so cannot advise.

If this is a coal effect fire, the grit is coarse, light in weight and normally resides in the base of the fire then it is used in to spread the gas from the main jets to create a bed of flame burning on the surface of the grit.

Reply to
fred

Take the bricks out? and use a hoover (with extension stair carpet pipe) where the bricks sit on the fire and also blow the bricks clear of dust.

If this doesn't solve the problem call a gas service blokey.

/me's wondering how it passed the annual gas safety inspection thats required by law?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

And do you think that private householders go to this expense volluntarily? - no one checks, so it never gets done in a lot of cases.

Reply to
Phil L

What law would this be referring to, with respect to owner occupiers?

andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

snipped ......

Eh..? What law is that then .??

Reply to
Stuart

It comes under the same header as private landlords ie If you own the gas appliance you are responsible for the annual gas check.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from Stuart contains these words:

Perhaps it's rented accomodation.

Reply to
Guy King

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:38:07 GMT someone who may be "The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote this:-

Really.

Reply to
David Hansen

Does it .?? Obviously if you are the owner of the gas appliance you are responsible for it and it's upkeep,same as you are responsible for everything else you own but what I asked was about the Law ( if any) that says it MUST be checked annually .

Reply to
Stuart