Do I need to keep 4 gpf toilet???

My other post is pages back so I'm reposting this topic.

I have a sag in my drain line under the toilet. I currently have 4 gpf going into the line so I think that by going to a 1.6 gpf model it won't displace the water as well and will flush even slower.

Also, the water going through the drain line is what clears it. If I put less water through it (1.6 gpf), won't that cause solids to accumulate and worsen the problem?

I already clear the line with a water hose periodically but don't want to have to do it MORE often.

Brad

Reply to
BradMM

Is there some reason you don't seem interested in fixing the sag?

Is there some reason you don't seem interested in fixing the sag?

Is there some reason you don't seem interested in fixing the sag? Are you picking up a pattern here? :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

In addition to what Doug said, you should know that it is water velocity or flow rate, not overall water quantity, that carries solids away. My old toilets would take forever to pass 5 gallons of water. My new Toto takes an instant to pass 1.6 gallons partly due to its oversized flapper valve. There's no question in my mind which toilet produces higher water velocities in the drain lines.

Reply to
mike

  • The cost of jack hammering the slab to get to the line that needs to be replumbed. Then there's the mature tree that would have to trenched to reroute the new line.
*
  • The cost of jack hammering the slab to get to the line that needs to be replumbed. Then there's the mature tree that would have to trenched to reroute the new line.
**
  • The cost of jack hammering the slab to get to the line that needs to be replumbed. Then there's the mature tree that would have to trenched to reroute the new line.

Are you

Yes, I did pick up on that but I have a "system" that has worked up to now. I don't yet HAVE to change the toilet out at the moment although I do need to remove the clog that in the toilet itself and thought this *might be* a good time to do it. I don't want to swap it out until I feel confident that the new one will work at least as well. Yes, one day, we'll probably have to correct the REAL problem here but I'd rather put it off for the time being if possible.

Reply to
BradMM

That's good info to have! That might answer the question about how well the new toilet might flush but I'm still concerned about clearing the line. Seems like the velocity would be dissipated as soon as it hits the standing water so I'd still have the problem of clearing the drain line until it was replumbed. 4 gallons should move more solids than 1.6. I've spoken to several plumpers who I work with (at a university Physical Plant) and several supply houses and they all seem to concur that the lower volume of flush seems logically to be a problem. I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible and I appreciate both of yours!

Brad

Reply to
BradMM

Yup. Some fine print in the installation instruction for my Toto Drake says: "Due to powerful performance .... they are not specified for BACK-TO-BACK installations. ..."

Reply to
M Q

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:57:34 -0000, BradMM wrote Re Do I need to keep 4 gpf toilet???:

Yes, it will.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:50:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote Re Re: Do I need to keep 4 gpf toilet???:

You're a moron that doesn't know how to answer a question? :- )

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I have both types and can't wait to change out the old water hog. I'm going for a dual flush model then I'll have two 1.6 gal models.

The newer toilets are really sophisticated and do more work with less water.

Reply to
valvejob

That's right. And NEVER flush it while sitting on the toilet unless you weight over 300 pounds.

I've lost 2 wives and 4 kids since I installed mine.

Reply to
valvejob

You're an idiot that can't see where the real problem is?

Reply to
Doug Miller

How are your naughty bits?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ahh my biggest mistake was getting rid of my old water waster, they are still sold in canada, have thought about traveling there to buy a replacement.

if you buy a new toilet and i wouldnt at least remove the old one carefully and store for reuse..........

better to be prepared.

old water wasters tend to flush well, and are quiet.

when you must flush a low flow toilet multiple times it uses more water than a old toilet.

the power flush models sound like a airplane taking off which leads owners to avoid flushing in middle of night....

thats not a good thing

Reply to
hallerb

We have never had to flush any of our American Standard Champions more than once.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy