typical cost of garage fumigation?

what is a typical cost of garage fumigation? I'm quoted 1500 for a typical 2 car detached garage. it sounds steep.

Reply to
socal.penguin

what did the other 2 companies say when you called them?

Reply to
charlie

Do it yourself, get Giant Destroyer Gopher bombs, put in a metal bucket and light and stay out. If floor is painted use a second metal bucket filled with water to hold the first bucket. But if someone or a house is down wind dont do it. I put them in my basement and it killed everything. You have to know where the fumes will go.

Reply to
ransley

This one belongs in the "What have been the worst home handyman accidents you've had,or seen so far ?" thread. Standby for Darwin Award. "...killed everything..." (including the homeowner?)

The OP never even mentioned what he was trying to fumigate for, or with.

Reply to
M Q

LOL

Would be nice to know, maybe termites?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Termites

Reply to
socal.penguin

No fumigant will kill underground termites, not even when termite professionals tent a whole house and fumigate it with potent toxins.

The only thing that will work will be to drill holes in the garage floor and inject a termidor solution. You also need to treat the outside of the garage foundation, similarly.

Google for termite control and DIY. You can buy the termidor on E-Bay. Follow all safety warnings. $ 1500 sounds about right for treating a garage in this manner.

Reply to
Walter R.

Ok. From that I am assuming that you are fumigating for drywood termites with Vikane. The cost is usually closely related to the enclosed volume of the tenting. This would be bigger if there are attached structures such as decking that must be enclosed.

Around here, I believe, there are "pest control" people that do termite inspections, spraying for misc. things, baiting, etc. and "fumigators" that just do fumigation. If fumigation is needed The "pest control" people subcontract to the fumigators. If you have the "structural pest inspection report" (termite report), you can probably directly hire the fumigator, saving a significant markup.

Was that $1500 for a "typical garage"? or for your garage? I am with charlie. What did the other two companies quote you? Best place to get a price quote is from local companies that are willing to do the work, not from someone on the internet, like myself, that is not in the business.

Reply to
M Q

Maybe I shouldn't assume. Did you have a pest inspection done? What kind of termites do you have?

Reply to
M Q

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

Have a beer party in the garage. Serve lots of hard boiled eggs and beans. That'll Get 'er Done

Reply to
Al Bundy

Always check with numerous companies and find one you are comfortable with. There are factors why the cost may be high. If you were in Dallas area for example, where drywood termites are rare so no one really is equipped for large fumigation the company you called probably is having to contract a company to come from Houston, 250 miles away. Or if you are in an area where dry wood termites are common you may of contacted a large national company that their way of doing business is get as much $$$ as possible...then of course you may of contacted a company that is just trying to make a quick buck.

The price I hear from companies on the Texas coast and Florida seem to run $1200-$1500 to treat an average sized home.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Those "fumes" are not small enough to penetrate deep into wood where the termites live.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

The tent fumigation would be for dry wood termites that live in the wood itself unlike subterranean termites that your treatment is for. $1500 for a garage only termidor treatment? I can't recall ever hearing of a termidor job for an average garage only to cost more than $400 done by a pro and they give warranties and are insured for mishaps...

Lar

Reply to
Lar