overflowing sistern with torbeck valves

Hi,

If there is a FAQ somewhere on this I've missed please let me know.

I have 3 toilets all with torbeck valves and all overflowing into the bowl. 2 are the same toilet, sistern and valve. 1 of these has never worked since day one always dripping until full then overflowing into the bowel, the other has only recently started doing this. On the 3rd one (a different make) you flush the toilet, it fills, overflows for about 10 seconds then stops.

We had a water meter fitted around about the time the 2nd toilet started overflowing and I thought it might be dirt so I took the valve to bits to clean it out - it looked OK.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to stop it?

Thanks.

Martin

-- Martin J. Evans Wetherby, UK

Reply to
Martin Evans

The water level must be really high to do this. ;-)

I've never worked with the Torbeck. However, if it is anything like the Fluidmaster, it needs to be spotlessly clean. It is possible to dismantle them and scrub the mating surfaces. It then needs to have a blast with the cap off.

Of course, the Torbeck might be completely different.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

For all the cost of a new valve it might be worth installing one and seeing if this makes a difference. I fitted a Torbeck valve to my 50 gallon loft cistern (the "cold tank" if that makes it clearer - the thought of needing 50 gallons to flush a toilet... sheesh! ;-) and after about 6 months (I think) it started giving me some problems. I probably posted the query here, but a quick email to the manufacturers and they sent me some replacement parts. Sounds like some design problem. Hasn't been any bother since.

Mungo

Reply to
mungoh

Torbecks are sensitive to even tiny bits of crud. Unscrew the big ring and remove the washer (there a small pin it fits over). Make sure it's all clean - hard water areas make it worse. Put it back together and see if it's then OK. (there are tiny balance holes that can get blocked).

Tip: Unclip the float (note the position!) before trying to undo the ring. Less likelihood of the float rod getting broken if your hand slips...

Reply to
Bob Eager

The one in my downstairs bog makes a 'boing' as the water shuts off. The others (upstairs and in the loft tank) don't. I've cleaned, inspected etc. all to no avail. Any suggestions?

Reply to
<me9

Fit a water hammer arrestor close to it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I think Torbeck and Fluidmaster are both sensitive to dirt, and hard water. I replaced all mine with conventional ball-valves in the end. I did a search on Torbeck, and they can be troublesome.

Reply to
4square

I think Torbeck and Fluidmaster are both sensitive to dirt, and hard water. I replaced all mine with conventional ball-valves in the end. I did a search on Torbeck, and they can be troublesome.

Reply to
4square

Does it have the flow restrictor fitted?

Reply to
Bob Eager

The Torbeck I fitted in our bathroom was trouble free until I had to clean it earlier this year...in a hard water area. YMMV, as they say!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I unscrewed the valve again to clean it. It is a cylinder with a rubber washer and plastic cap at one end and rubber diaphragm, small plastic piece with a tiny hole in and a plastic pin at the other side. Finally there is s small cap at the diaphragm end which pushes in with a small locking tab and this cap has a tiny hole in it. All are spotlessly clean - it still leaks from the output pipe which comes off the top of the valve. The only thing I can see is that the small plastic piece with a hole in it - the hole does not look perfect and the small plastic pin seems very short and is falltened at the end that goes through the hole. The float has a small rubber piece in the arm that fits over the hole in the vale - this looks good too.

Wonder if I can get replacement parts for the inners of the valve - I think I bought it from screwfix.

Mart>>

Martin J. Evans Wetherby, UK

Reply to
Martin Evans

How much is a full replacement from Screwfix? Under a tenner? Why not treat your cistern then.

Mungo :-)

Reply to
mungoh

Install several other toilets, so you can play tunes.

Reply to
Ian Stirling